My first estimate for a New Irrigation System.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by KrayzKajun, May 25, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

went looked at a residence today in the same community i just finished up a big landscape install in. homeowner wants an irrigation system installed in the whole front yard inorder to save the turf that was installed last year.:dizzy:

looks like this is going to be fun!! Can anyone say TREE ROOTS!!!!!!!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

IMG-20120525-00359.jpg

IMG-20120525-00356.jpg

IMG-20120525-00358.jpg

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be thinking either MP Rotators or Stream-Rotors to avoid damage to the tree trunks. Remember, trench INTO the root zones, rather than across. A couple of areas look almost impossible to into- trench, but do all you can to avoid tree stress/death. I used a Japanese fine-kerf saw to trim and a ton of 45s to get under/over. A lot of that looks like hand-work.

3. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Price it high- way high. Roots are a BIG PITA and you will work your butt off digging trenches. If this is your first install, it will probably be your last install.

4. Mike Leary

I learned about the Oriental "pull saws" from a shipwright when I was doing finish carpentry, they act on gravity, and are very accurate. When I got into pruning, I found them much better than traditional saws, even Felcos. They make such a clean cut that the chances of rot and disease are nill, and the wound heals clean and quickly. I used them on all root pruning, also.

DSCN2000saws.jpg

5. KrayzKajun

Thanks for the info mike. I don't think the homeowner has any idea what's involved in putting in a qaulity system. I think before I even start on the design I'm going to ask for a budget too determine if its worth my time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mike Leary

Do you want the job? If you do, have some numbers ready, remember, EVERYONE has a budget. I've done a lot of projects where they could not do it all at once, and we worked off a "shoe box" sort of deal. "When the box is full, come on over." I did one where we planned for the entire system, and six years later, completed it to my and the owner's approval.

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

why even trench into that cluster of a mess....?

lay some pipe on the ground and paint it green

8. Mike Leary

I know of an air-powered "root cleaner" that opens-up the area without trashing the bones. I'll check with the Arboretum that has one if you're interested.

9. KrayzKajun

I like that idea!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Mike Leary

Sounds like something Dana taught you. :rolleyes: