My first eXmark

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rockstate, Jan 19, 2004.

1. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

I bought my eXmark today, 48" TT HP, first eXmark ever. I was wondering what kind of blades i should start out with for the moist spring grass ?

2. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I bought a new TTHP 48" 17hp 12/29/03 and love it. I got the mulch kit on it and swap between the blades that came w/the mulch kit and gator blades. The gators seem to do a little better in the leaves. They don't seem to have as much blow out. Really there is not that much differance in the 2 blades. Both work really well.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You go rockstate!!!

largeturftracerhp.jpg

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If you are side discharging the eXmark excaliber blades are the best I've used.

5. rockstate

Thanks a lot to everyone on here, you guys are the ones that led me to my decision, especially reading John Gambas posts thanks a lot. Steve

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Rock,

For side discharge in wet conditions "notched-airfoil" Excalibur. Some version of the notched airfoil is standard on all units when they leave the factory. Once things dry out you can run the "solid" airfoils for a little cleaner more manicured cut.

If mulching I'd stick with the factory mulch blades that come with the kit but mulching in wet conditions is going to be difficult at best.

Thanks

Terry

7. rockstate

yeah i just picked it up today this thing is incredible, i cant wait to use it. thanks a lot steve

8. SIRCAESAR

SIRCAESAR LawnSite Member

Hi Guys, Like Rockstate I am looking to do the same thing, congratulations on the exmark rockstate, I am right behind you. Thanks to all of you, I have narrowed my decision down to Exmark. However I have multiple questions to ask of you.. I want to get either the Exmark Metro or Exmark Turf Tracer, which is the better machine and why, what does either have over the other? My next dilemma is this. I know some of you have already responded to this post I put up in the main section of Lawnsite so this is for those opinions I did not get and of course I would like to hear what Exmark(manufacturer has to say about this) .. my local exmark dealer, is having a sale on an Exmark 36" metro walkbehind. he is letting it go for $2199 brand new, however it has a fixed deck, his regular 36" metro floating deck is $3299, his 48" is only $200 more for $3499, so far I have gotten mixed reviews for fix versus floating decks.. the guy told me the floating decks will not scalp when you go over hills, but the fixed decks are more prone to scalping and don't handle well on hills.. however its $1000 cheaper. is it worth me paying the extra $1000 for the floating deck, or should i put my money in some other lawn equipment? last but not least should I get the hydro version or regular below are my three different questions

Exmark Metro or Turf Tracer?
    Fixed or Floating Deck?
    hydro version or regular pulley

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I just bought a Metro 36" 12.5hp for $2250! Jump on the good deals now!

10. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

SirCeaser,

Both the Metro and Turf Tracer HP are good machines. The Turf Tracer HP however is really in a different class. Here's why.

The Turf Tracer HP is a Hydro. Hyrdro will spoil you because the speed is infinitely adjustable, there's not drive belts to slip in wet conditions, instant forward and instant reverse. The Gear drive on the other hand requires more adjustments to the drive system, requires more maintenance and can loose much of it's drive in wet conditions. The hydro is like having an automatic, power steering and power brakes so you drive it. The gear drive is more comparable to a truck with manual shift, no power brakes and no power steering. One you drive the other you manhandle. The Turf Tracer HP with the hydro will leave you less fatigued at the end of the day as well.

The Metro has a fixed deck and the Turf Tracer HP has a floating deck. The floating deck on the Turf Tracer HP can help prevent scalping on uneven terrain. This is becoming more important with some many of the new developments adding more and steeper hills to the landscapes. The floating deck is also much easier to change the cutting height and requires less belt adjustment.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please feel free to post them here or call me at 1-800-667-5296.

Thanks

Terry