My first experience with the Quickie 32

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rogerwb, Mar 23, 2008.

1. rogerwb

rogerwb LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

My first experience with the Quickie 32.

I bring it home from the shipping terminal. I opened the crate to find battery acid everywhere. Acid is limited to the grass catcher and front forks on the mower. After cleaning it up the only damage is to the grass catcher and front fork spindles. This I believe at this time is just discolored and mild pitting. Bought some battery acid from a local dealer. Checked the oil in the Kaw 16hp. Oil level is good. Fired up the engine. Smoke everywhere black oil dripping out of the muffler. Smoke goes away after a few min. Get ready to mow the yard and the engine fails to do anything. One on the switches for the hydro is out of adjustment. One switch for the deck control is damaged and verily hanging on to the connector. This is not going well. I mowed my small back yard. I found this mower very hard to maneuver in the corners of the yard next to the fence. When I was done with the small back yard I felt like I mowed 10 times the grass I mowed. This machine everyone raves about is hard to turn, hard on the hands and arms. I bought to mower for my wife to use when needed. We will both be surprised if this mower is going to work for us. I was hoping this would be an upgrade to my Gravely 32” belt drive.
    This is not a good first experience.

My other mower is a Wright 48” Stander RH which anyone can use. And two 21” mowers. We are a small company and we are looking to expand 100% this year and again 100% next year. We are going from part time to full time next year.

2. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

That sucks, give Better a call and let them know about the shipping issues. I think they have a return period also if you need.

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you contacted BOP yet on these issues ??

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Sounds like it got banged around during shipping. I am sure BOP will take care of it. Call them.

5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

it must have gotten banged around in shipping.

However, i am not fond of these machines.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately a mower isn't like a hair dryer, run to the store, pick one up take it home, tear open the box plug it in and go...

A mower is more like a car, they're all different from each other and have to be learned and dealt with. I myself being a man don't much believe in reading Owner's manuals but that is what those books were made for, before we even start it...?
    Ok, but...

The main thing I wanted to address:

I did not know you could ship things with environmentally damaging chemicals in them,
    at least the engines I've ordered ALWAYS came shipped without oil!

Yes something does show on the dipstick because it has a coating of something from the factory on there, but I have never received an engine filled with oil in it, I always thought this was against the law or something to ship them with oil in them...?

So I would be super sure you check the oil, drain it if you're not sure then refill with some 10w-30 and change the filter if you have to, but you have to be 1001% certain there is oil in it for real. And if you're still thinking it has oil in it (and maybe it does) but I would change oil and filter, just to be 100% sure.

I'm just trying to save you a headache, you wouldn't be the first Lco to seize a brand new engine because of this bit of lack of knowledge and it is a shame first the mfg'er ends up caught up in a bad service rep type of deal and then they're supposed to replace a customer-fault item that isn't cheap, but more than that even it's just a darn shame to ruin a brand new thing like that.

The rest, the controls and driveability, that boils down to practice.
    Probably take a month (or 3) before you can run it without a fight, all Wb's do that, yup, Toros too.
    But the oil, do that at least, if you do nothing else do that part, just to be certain.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO, the reason why you spend an extra $1k and get a mower from a local dealer.

I don't have time to troubleshoot what's going wrong with a brand new piece of equipment and get it running myself.

Once it ends up on the doorstep, it's running.

If Quick 32's were at a dealership, then by all means, go at it.

I don't understand how a person can spend $3-4k on something they've never run.

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

contact BOP and get back with us.

9. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Having 3 pieces of BOP Equipment I can tell you this has to be a carrier issue....All my equipment has showed up crated to an EXTREME...it takes longer to get it open than it does to put it together and learn how to use it.
    My equipment came cleaner and in better shape than the Z's and edgers and trimmers I have bought from a local dealer.

BOP , I am sure , if contacted , would resolve this issue quickly and without hesitation. Us sitting here debating this will not solve the issue of a guy who gets on here complaining and never responds to our numerous requests for more information from him.

IMHO ..most of us on here have more than a basic understanding of our equipment and do A LOT if not all repairs and maintenance ourselves. The entire dealer loyalty is way overrated...That dealer makes very little on the initial purchase but he makes a killing on parts and repairs. Remember..his $75+ hourly rate of repair + parts is more than 90% of us are EVER ABLE TO BILL OUT AT. We all need a place to buy equipment and parts and in some cases have equipment repaired , but $1000 more for a piece of equipment in our cut throat industry is CRAZY IMHO.

Sorry for the rant ,but if this guy truly wants help for his issue....Then he needs to answer our questions and contact BOP

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like it was tipped on its side or upside down...I would contact the freight company and ask them WTF is going on!