My First Job!! Is it Worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheTurfTender, Feb 5, 2008.

1. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

This is my first bid, and the guy before me is charging $85 a cut. They are not that pleased with him, but planning on using him again. They offered me the bid and if I match it, they will use me. As you can see, there is not a whole lot of grass, but a few steep slopes. Oh, this is for 30 weeks and includes 3 ferts, and spring and fall clean-up.

I really don't have that great of a feeling about it, but can I afford to pass it up? Maybe it is a good deal. Help me out please.

Job1.jpg

2. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

Is that 8 Homes?

3. TheTurfTender

from Mn

LOL, YES it is

4. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I would pass, they are probably telling you a lower price than they are actually paying. Put it this way. I had 5 houses in a row for $125 and I didn't think it was worth it and that was just for mow & trim.

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I would pass.

6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Seems low to me, but before I tell you to pass it up, how long would it take you with your current equipment?

7. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

8 homes for $85 ?
    ..."I don't think so, Tim..."

Only if the service could be completed in 30 minutes or less.

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, thats works out to to a little over $10 per house. Run as fast as you can in the other direction. UNLESS, you can really make up for it on the SCU/FCU and ferts.

9. TheTurfTender

from Mn

I can't. That's included.

All right, Passed!

Now, what is the best way to tell this guy no. I am thinking I just send a letter thanking him for the consideration and explaining that I couldn't do quality work at that rate or something to that effect.

Thanks Gents!!

B

10. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally won't back off the trailer for less than $25, and the way it sounds I would pass on that account...like procut said that is about $10 per cut, you should at least be getting $25 per and $25x8=$200.00. Driving to a place to mow for $10 a yard isn't worth it in my opinion.