My First Job!! Is it Worth it?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TheTurfTender, Feb 5, 2008.

1. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

This is my first bid, and the guy before me is charging $85 a cut. They are not that pleased with him, but planning on using him again. They offered me the bid and if I match it, they will use me. As you can see, there is not a whole lot of grass, but a few steep slopes. Oh, this is for 30 weeks and includes 3 ferts, and spring and fall clean-up.

I really don't have that great of a feeling about it, but can I afford to pass it up? Maybe it is a good deal. Help me out please.
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Well as I look at your last fiscal year to date I can tell you this, oh but before I do that'll be $25,000 please :dizzy:. Seriously though how are we supposed to know, if you don't. You need to do more homework, read some books, Charles Vander kooi is a good start, also find out if there are any classes in your area.
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

For 340.00 a month it would have to be a pretty rough job for me to pass up.:usflag::usflag::usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  4. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

I don't see any pictures.....
  5. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

Lets see the pics and give you a better judgement, but people in your area will give you a better idea of what the market will bear.

Daveyo, when people ask about price, they are usually brand new to the trade and looking for an industry standard. He probably doesn't even have a "fiscal year to date" yet.
  6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets see some pics!

But, I think that would be a good RELIABLE client, reliable income is always welcome lol I say do it... if you can't match the price, sell your business to them. Explain how you will provide a better service, Let them know that you care (have to care... its your first client). Make them hate the guy their with now... pretty much like I said... gotta be a good sales man.

Oh, don't promiss to be better unless you KNOW you can out perform this guy...
  7. All Season Bill

All Season Bill LawnSite Member

Did you break it down for him? The fert is this much... the clean up is this much...and the mowing is this much. It makes them feel better to see that than just one lump sum.
    Plus what are they getting with each service? Crabgrass preM? Debris clean up? How many yards of mulch, etc.