My first job....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ravenwood Landscaping, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm still laughing about it. We did our first job today. A corner townhouse mulch job and clean-up. Our initial thought was charge $100 for materials and 1 hour of work. Well, we're definitely rookies to the bidding process. We spent $84 on materials and took 4 man hours. So we made about $3.75/hr each!

The good part is the client was thrilled and is going to refer us to everyone she knows. While we were working all of her neighbors were watching to see what we were doing, so hopefully that will bring in more clients. BUT at a little bit more profitable price. We're calling it our "First customer discount".

If you need me, I'll be on the floor laughing at myself!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

LOL, that's good that you can laugh about it but at the same time learn from it!!....just wait though, when you give the neighbors prices, you'll get the......"but you only charged them......."

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell the neighbors you gave first corner lot a discount from the original price for word of mouth advertising. Yeah thats it.LOL

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I priced a clean up today at 550.00 and got it ...but I think I bidded to low

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

unfortunatly , this is how you learn the bidding process, no shortcuts, you try, make mistakes, and learn...... your on your way.....:)

6. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

damn...i thought i was bidding high for min of 250 on my clean-ups

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

hey you live you learn and thats the best way now you know how to price them...i remember when we did a couple jobs when we first started and didnt make any money

8. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing I hate worse then saying...Mr. smith your looking at $650 for the job start to finish and before you can finish what your saying he says sounds good, when can you start!!!!! Makes me wonder how much more you could have gotten!!!!

9. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i know that feeling but hell its better then ARE YOU NUTS! SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS?

10. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

Dont worry first job we got of the season simply told us to make sure we got stuff on paper from now on. Started out as a trimming bushes and laying some pinestraw down. O yeah and that grass cloth stuff. Well the day we get out the wind starts blowing really good and the grass cloth is being a royal pain in the tush. Then we finally get that worked out and start laying the pine mulch. But all of thats only after some simple trimming went to gut this... gut that... gut every damn bush on the front of my house. So about two full days worth of work and we walk away with... ooo $620 bucks. Man that job sucked.