My first lowballer experience

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimmbo407, May 18, 2006.

1. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I just lost two accounts to a lowballer. I have only been in business for 3 years. I think I was the lowballer lol. Anyway this guy lives on a block that I had two accounts. I had two little ol ladys that are both widowers (PITA;s). I raised there rates this year from 20 to 23 dollars. Everyone else went up 5 bucks. This guy is mowing there lawn for 13 bucks a piece. He has an enclose trailer and a two new Hustlers one WB and one ZTR. I may be able to get some good use equipment off him next year lol.:usflag:

2. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

I have been maintaining the same rental properties for 4 years, and back in march the owner wanted me to re- bid all 4 locations. No fert, insect cntrl, lndscpe mntc noting just mowing. So I basically raised each one by five dollars. That brought the total for all 4 of them to 290 each week. Crappy account but it was easy, anyway he has his secretary call me to tell me that another "contractor" came in at 220. I asked her if he was legit, does he have the proper liability ins., what other commecial references did he provide. She wanted me to drop my prices to his before they even knew if he was legit. I told them that I was not about to lower my price before they even knew if he was legit. Any way I told them NO! and havent heard from them since.

I did go buy and take a look at his work though, shity job. I hope they call me back when the dumbass is out of biz, so I can tell them to kiss my country ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He under bid me buy 1800 for the season, maybee his gas, ins. and all that is free!:laugh:

3. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I swear everyone around here has a mower and is doing lawncare. One guy I know told me the other day he wished we would have a no rain all summer. That way alot of them would "Go back to work" :laugh: If they are doing any lawn for $13 that is just crazy, I charge $30 just to drop my gate even if i only mow for 5 min.

Rubermaid use to have a big factory here, Then they closed it and I swear everyone toke there retierment money and got mowers! We actualy call them "The Rubbermaiders" :hammerhead:

4. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

this past week, i noticed alot of newbies. most of them have a home made trailer or one that they found at the local dump. a craftsman tractor/ push mower, and a truck that you can tell it was only used as a to and from work truck, and one last week went to a client on mine( i posted about this last week) and told them that i should not mow the lawn this tall!! is should be 2 1/2 inches and not 3 wtf!!how can he tell a 1/2 inch? anyway i also noticed that when ever i see them , they seem to give me a dirty look, i thought it was me. but a friend of mine also a lco told me that they do the same to him, so now when i see them, (the ones that give me looks) i drive really slow when i pass them and laugh really loud so they hear me lol it a new thing local lcos are starting around here!!! pls keep in mind i dont laugh because they are out working, its just because of the dirty looks, ive even tried to waive to them before to be friendly, and no waive back!!!

5. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

I try to wave, but usually don't get a response, they are usually staring at my trailer and equipment, or my company name on the sides of the trailer and tail gate. I don't do flyers anymore, all my business comes from word of mouth, this way, if I " STEAL " an account, it was the prior lco's own fault.
    Good Luck

6. mikeeee

mikeeee LawnSite Member

I have to agree with Adam. I don't drop my gate for less than 30.00. If they can't afford 30.00 dollars or they argue or 5 friggin' dollars BEWARE! Those are the accounts who will call and say " Hey can you skip me this week cause I don't think it needs cutting?" My prices are competitive and I am reliable and we do a great job (little self promo):rolleyes: . If you get enough good accounts and do a good job and are reliable (cut as and when promised) you will get more business and develop a good reliable customer base. The fly by nights will come and go just like in any business. If I lose a customer to one and they call me a couple weeks later cause the guy didn't show or did a crappy job I will go up 5 or 10 buks depending on the size of the yard because if you have a route it is tough sometimes to work them back into it. So don't be shy and make them pay! Remember you don't make your money off 1 cut but cutting year after year! Tha's my 2 cents!:waving:

7. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

everyone should know lowballers like that dont last and is no reason to be worried... he stole 2 accounts but i guarantee he lost 5-10 from last year that you can pick up if you are advertising and get ur name out

customers who drop cheap people realize they have to pay more to get a good job done and will never question you on your prices if they are satisfued

9. mikeeee

mikeeee LawnSite Member

Fulano,
    I have been a business owner for over 15yrs. I offically started Pinky's Lawn Service in '05. Hope that helps!

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

There was a guy around here in the spring who was advertising $10 to cut and blow off,$15 if you want trimming.These are accounts thats go for $25-$30.So it takes him a month to make what we were making on them last year in two weeks.