My first NEW mower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenedge, Aug 2, 2004.

1. greenedge

greenedge LawnSite Member

I when't out and bought a brand new Toro today!
    All because I have had three used snappers and seem to have them in the shop a lot2.
    I know that with used you take a risk but I haven't had the money for a new one. I hope I made a good choice:
    It's a 21" Toro with a 5.5 Honda motor
    ran me $ 1049.00 +tax and finance
    They had a 21"Toro with a 6.5 kawasaki for $969.00 - I wanted it but it seemed really cheaply put together. The pull cord was smaller and the stickers on it were crooked. I know these are minor details but I started to wonder what else was cheap on it.
    Did I make a good choice with the Honda Motor???

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

you made a bad choice spending that much on a 21" mower...IMHO! I spent about $800 on a used 36" and could have gotten a new 32" for only a couple hundred more than you spent.

Trevor

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. 21's are like Bic's. Disposable. Save that kinda cash for a real mower.

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Granted we dont know your circumstances...You may not have a trailer or something, but i know i can get my 36" anywhere i would have had to use a 21" in the past. I dont even know if people use a 21" long enough to justify a $1k push mower.

Congratulations though on the new buy

Trevor

5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with what has been posted on spending for a 21". But one thing I will say is.It sure is nice to have a new mower no matter what size it is.Good luck with the purchase.It sounds nice.

6. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know - man, a grand for a 21" push mower does seem pretty steep but hey, if you're happy that's all that matters. Toro makes an awesome product so I don't think you can go wrong with the brand.

As far as the Honda motor goes, I've only had one of the Honda power units and it was in a generator but it was a quiet, powerful motor (about a 10-12 HP I think). It never gave me a moment's trouble so I hope yours does as well for you. But I don't think you would have gone wrong with the Kawasaki either - I really like their motors (at least on the ZTR's).

Getting back to the price - did you try and deal with the guy? Did he discount it at all? Or, did you trade your stuff in and he priced the new one at list? Just curious because it does seem pretty stiff to pay a grand+ for that particular model but I haven't bought a good WB in a long, long time so maybe that price isn't that far out of line.

Congrats! :D I know you're gonna enjoy the new piece of machinery! Got any pics?

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Greenedge, congrats.. Good luck with it.. Whereabouts in NW H-town are you? Spring branch or some where out near the belt or something? Just wondering, nice to see other Houston area guy's on here...God Bless You, and Good luck with the Toro.

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

greenedge, don't let 'em bust your balls...the Proline you bought is the best 21 on the market, PERIOD, though the engine choice is personal preference. You couldn't go wrong with the Kawasaki, but if you like the Honda, great!

Trevor, tell 'im about your 44,:D ....and tell me where I can get "... a new 32" for only a couple hundred more than you spent."....cause I need one of the quality of his Proline for $1249 today... and you are right, we don't know his circumstances.

The debate over 21s and how much to spend is perpetual. But to crap on greenedge's joy over his new mower ain't right.

JMO,
    Steve

9. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%. Good luck with the new Toro, greenedge!

10. satch

satch LawnSite Member

Greenedge,I paid about $500 bucks to much for my first mower.Wuz still able to pay it off the first year and make a profit.Happy mowing to you my friend.By the way it was a rider.