1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My first paver block installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdvaden, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

My customers ( planting and pruning ), accepted an estimate to replace one mangled section of their concreted driveway.

This was my first paver install, ever. Its a lot more fun than I expected. The pattern was a nice one to work on for a first project.

The driveway was so thrashed, I could have lifted it up in pieces with hand equipment in 4 hours, but the roots underneath required a backhoe, which I gladly used. I was amazed to see a root go under at 3" in diameter, and become 8" in diameter. Usually, its the reverse.

Of all the projects I've done, none has had so many neighbors stop by to compliment and ask for my phone number for various needs.

I need to get a better photo when the sun isn't so bright. Tomorrow I finish - only 70 bricks left to cut and fit on the edges.

March15 006.jpg
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Looks smooth........what brand? How is your base?
  3. mdvaden

Holland, I think.

The base is 5" - 6" of 3/4 minus gravel with about 1" to 2" of coase sand.

I tamped twice for every 1" of fill.

One both sides, where tree roots were cut, I installed root barrier panels, to prevent more root damage.

One thing was interesting - I needed the middle to be about 2" higher than the sidewalk and the remaining concrete driveway on the inside. I could screed each direction, but still had to eyeball-it to get the gradual curve in the surface.
  4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

This is a driveway correct? What exactly parks on it.......afraid you don't have enough base.
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

oh boy, is oregon in trouble now:laugh: I was surprised to here you cut up some roots, doesn't that go against your arborist code of ethics:laugh: sorry just pickin' on ya, and yes, hardscapes really do get the neighbors attention like nothing else.

Funny story, guy I know put in a retaining wall about 25' from a BIG'ole tree and had to cut 3-10" roots. well that winter a wind storm whipped through and the tree fell in the opposite direction of cut roots:laugh:
  6. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

That looks nice! why did the middle have to be higher, drainage?
  7. BleedsGreen

BleedsGreen LawnSite Member

Looks good !!! :drinkup:
  8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks very good
  9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Wrong thread.
  10. mdvaden

A small import and a mid-size Buick.

There was decomposed granite underneath.

It just would look more aethetic. It has to do with the bed behind where the photo was taken from - the bed is slightly raised, and I didn't want to have a big retaining edge, or a lack of a tall edge and bark and dirt coming on the driveway.

Now that its done, it looks better slightly raised too.