My First Paver Walkway. Pictures, Questions, & more

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by merrimacmill, Jul 7, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I started my first paver walkway project today. There was already a walkway in place, so I started to remove it and dig out the area of the new walkway. There is no cement dust, or gravel pack here, just dirt. The walkway that was there, was no done right.

I've been reading up for quite sometime on this, and have done related, small projects. I have also watched it been done many times, but this is the first "serious" one I've done.

The walkways will be six feet wide, with a 10 foot circle pack at the turn. One walkway will flair out, and blend into the circle patio, while the other blends out of the circle patio, and into the stairs.

A couple questions I have are, so far I've dug down more than a foot and I'm still on mostly rocky loam. I've heard that I should always dig past the loam, and place the gravel pack on more sandy soil. Is this true?

Also, what should I use for fabric in between the dirt and gravel pack? Will just reg. weed fabric do alright?

Heres some pictures so far, any constructive critisism, suggestions, or tips are much appriciated. I'm going to finish digging, and start laying the gravel pack tomorrow, hopefully start the circle. I plan on getting that done first, then laying out the walkways.

For pavers I'm going to use EuroPath Toulon in an antique gold color, with a slate gray boarder.

Remember, in these pictures I'm not nearly done digging, which would explain the unevenness of the whole thing.

Orchid 022.jpg

Orchid 024.jpg

Orchid 033.jpg

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure about the soil part, up here its alllll clay. As for the fabric, NEVER use weed fabric. Its plain useless. Use a WOVEN geotextile fabric (looks like tarp material and frays at the end when cut). This fabric is for separation and support of your base material and prevents it from shifting and migrating into the sub grade.

Make a little blueprint type drawing and post it and we'll help you with design, maybe there's a simpler way to achieve what you want or a different technique you could use. Good luck with everything, keep us updated!

3. merrimacmill

Well finished it up today. Now I just need to put in the poly sand, and then do the mulching, etc.. I think I got my idea to flow pretty nicely using the border. Seemed a bit involved for my first walkway, but came out alright i'd say. Opinions? Heres some pictures I thought I'd share.

Chloe 006.jpg

Chloe 003.jpg

4. merrimacmill

heres a couple more

Chloe 008.jpg

Chloe 005.jpg

5. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Workmanship looks good...What are the dimensions? Looks kind big for a walkway but nice design!!

6. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

looks good. i just hope that those excavation pics are not where you stopped. You have only excavated about 4-5" down and you need to be about another 3" from that for proper base thickness.

7. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Looks awesome except...my eye is drawn to the inside border around the circle.

On the outside edge, you brought the border to the circle and then use the circle as the border, but on the inside, you continued the border course. I would have mimicked what you did on that outer edge. Otherwise it looks great. Your cuts have a nice line and I really like the wideness. Seems like people always want to put narrow walks to their front door. Why not make it wide and welcoming.

8. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you put the edge retrain on top of your bedding material?

9. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Edge looks like its on the bedding sand, thats no good. Also, we need more specs on excavation and base prep. cuts look great, design is very nice.

10. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave LawnSite Member

Looks great! Just wondering why you didn't widen the walk around the circle to have a complete soldier course on the walkway?