1. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i just had my 8' boss straight blade put on my 99 3/4ton dodge today. It looks awesome, its really touchy but i guess thats something i have to get used to. this was the first time that i had every been behind the wheel of a plow truck so i have to admit it was a little intimidating, i was watching every car that i got close to and every turn i took. Im sure ill get used to driving it and plowing with it in no time. They had a problem putting the plow on because my truck has a 3 inch lift and with the kickstand in the last hole it barely gets on the truck. I still might have to remove the lift kit when my cutting edge wears down. So all went well and now i am just waiting for my salter to come in then i will be off into action.

Thanks for all the help :)

2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Once you get use to your plow you will have no problem at all i was like that the first time too.What kind of sander are you getting?

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Best of luck, and have fun.

Geoff

4. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

fivestr 19,
    Last year was the first time for me also it dosen't take long to get use to it or even look like you know what your doing.best of luck

5. zimm4

zimm4 LawnSite Member

Im not looking foward to snow and ice. Oh well if you can make money. At least some good comes of it.

6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Hello everybody!! First post here. I'm getting my first plow put on my f250 super duty xlt next week, can't wait. I plowed many years ago when I worked for a Car Dealer but it was a little Nissan with a no name plow on it. Anyway just wanted to jump in here and this was a good topic to start. I am also looking to purchase a new snow thrower, small 2 stage. I have looked at mtd, craftsman, toro, & arien. Looking to spend 6-800.00. If anybody has any feedback on these blowers, I'm listening

7. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

OK here is what i do for blowers.

Single stage: I buy the name brand, my case toro, they stand up well. However my 2 stage i go to home depot, and buy the biggest one they sell. Why they are realitivly cheap compared to the name brand, and they work well. I get about 5 seasons out of a cheap one from a store like Home Depot (started buying them at HQ back in 90, before that we bought all name brand, but had a lot less then we do today.)

Geoff

8. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Welcome Handy Haver!Are you sure you know what you're getting into? There's still time to bail out while the bailing's good. I wouldn't get an off brand, which is what I consider MTD and Craftsman. Craftsman makes 3 million products. I admit their tools are great. I buy them and take advantage of the lifetime replacement guarantees. But their power equipment is made for Joe Homeowner, not Joe Contractor. You need to stick with the name commercial brands, like the Toro you mentioned. I know somebody who bought an MTD and couldn't get replacement parts through the Menards he bought it from or the local repair shop. You need to get those parts immediately when you need it. Every minute you lose to down time during a storm costs you $$$$$$.

9. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

I was looking at the mtd 5.5 or 8 hp units. I live just outside of Philly, Pa and don't think I'll need a monster, although they are impressive!! Thanks for your advise on this. Home Depot is the way I'll go. I'm a contractor and live there anyway. Shouldn't have any problems with customer service.

10. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

SnowPro mensioned something i forgot. I have 3 2 stage back up blowers. What i do, well, i don't see how they are used. However i know they get the tar beat out of them, becaue when they come in the day after the storm, my mechanic just shakes his head. I will admit this part of my equipment line get beat very hard. Also i only keep these blowers 3 or 4 max 5 seasons. I bought some in 93, they were disposed over in 96, and i got plenty of use out of them. However the ones i bought in 96, haven't had the use the ones 93-96 got, so i will replace them this year and keep as back ups, others i will keep anothe year.

Geoff