My first pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc., Sep 27, 2007.

1. Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc.

Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc. LawnSite Member

This pond has been around for a century. Over the years, it has slowly been overgrown by myrtle because dirt has washed into the lower pond. The starter pond has small trees growing out of it, the waterfall is hit, but the lower pond is still in quite good shape. Cracks here and there, but I think I can seal those. The questions I have...1.) Should I go over cracks with more concrete, or try a sealant?...2.) The picture with the hole, I think, is like a well or spring. Should I just fill it? Any help is good. I've got an idea of what to do from a gentleman in CA who has been in the business for 25 years...very knowledgeable! Just thought I'd get some other opinions...
    Attached Images

2. Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc.

Here's the pictures of the pond:)

Mel's 61307 042.jpg

well.jpg

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

if something has been around for century, i say respect its origins, find out what the hole really is, maybe its important. any better pictures? or more info on its history?

4. Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc.

All I know is that the hole, once I cleaned it out, I was digging into water. I think the hole is one of three thing: A spring, a well, or an area for a pump/skimmer/etc. The hole might just have had water in it from the pond draining into it. If you look close at the top of the picture, you can see small trees. I'm renting a backhoe to eliminate that problem, and just dig up the whole upper pond, and start from scratch. The waterfall is in pretty bad shape too.

5. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

Remove everything and start from scratch. It will pay off in the long run.

6. Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc.

I'm afraid that's out of the question. There is some historicity to the block this customer lives on. She wants it to stay about the same. Just beef it up a bit. I've found a couple different sealants for the cracks. I've heard Thoroseal is good and bad. I've heard concrete, not liners. The lower pond is actually holding a little water until it evaporates. Just rain water. The starter pond seems to have a bunch of small stones in the concrete bottom. Is that for looks or is there a purpose?:confused:

7. Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc.

This house is in back of a mansion. The mansion used to be the only house on the block. The mansion sits on a hill, then the property slopes like a ravine into some woods. It was all once a promenade park in the back property. Now there is four huge houses built on the back side of this block, and most the park area was sold off to my customer's neighbor, except for this pond I'm trying to fix.

8. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually clean out the craxcks, sometimes make them bigger, repatch with new cement. (the non shrinking kind) and then thoroseal over it all.
    There is another product i have used a few times and really like, Its HERCO pond coating. Its basically a liquid rubber you aplly to the cement, several time.

What ever part you can replace and use a liner under will be well worth the time and effort to make it look "historical" if there is a lot of cracks, its just a matter of time before the cracks come back.
    looks like there are alot of trees near by. those trees have roots that will continue to displace soil..... more cracks.

Not saying your work is not quality, but i would NOT offer a guarantee on the patching.

9. Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc.

I've heard that over time, they deteriorate from sunlight. I was thinking, when I tear out the starter pond, just do another concrete one. What do you think?

10. Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc.

Good point about the trees. I think I might reroute the waterfall a bit because of that very reason. Thanks for the advice, all of you.