My First Project Raised Patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Crusher Run, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Crusher Run

Crusher Run LawnSite Member

Last year in May I started what I thought would be a good summer project to keep me out of the house. It turned into the biggest job I have ever done in my life and it's still not done. It has cost me four times what I originally planed and spent more time than I ever imagined, BUT I LOVE IT!

Here are some photos to show you guys my progress, hope you enjoy. I still don't have the finishing touches worked out yet.

-g

P9040597.jpg

P9040596.jpg

P9040598.jpg

P9080630.jpg

P8090407.jpg

2. Crusher Run

Few more photos...

P9190642.jpg

PA100720.jpg

PA100721.jpg

PB290049.jpg

3. soopa

soopa LawnSite Member
    from NY

looks good, except for all the loose dirt and organic matter under your patio fill :) not to mention the extremely thick lifts.

let that stuff settle and decompose a bit before you put pavers on top! ;)

really not bad for your first tho, looks nice!

4. Crusher Run

Thanks soopa, the soil there is almost all sand, because that area was filled when the house was built 8 years ago. After I removed the topsoil the exposed sand began to grow grass after a couple months. BTW I back filled the whole thing with 3/4 rock with out compacting at all. Should I put landscaping fabric between the rock and the sand bed for the pavers?

5. GMTA

GMTA LawnSite Member

Be prepared for that to settle. Ideally you should have compacted in layers. If you put pavers on top you will most likely be repairing them soon after.

I would have thought about using geogrid behind that wall for reinforcement! Big problem if it fails and anyone is near by.

Bet it will look decent but what lies beneath in hidden errors will eventually come back to bite you!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  6. Crusher Run

What do you think the best thing to do now remove some back fill and compact or wait and see what happens?

I did use one row of 36" geogrid on the fourth course.

NOOOOOO!!! I really tried to do everything I could to make it the best it could be. Unfortunately I found this site recently.

I also used a product called staymat for the base of the wall as strongly recommended by a friend in the business.

7. ParkviewNursery

ParkviewNursery LawnSite Member

Rockwood retaining wall i see?........another thing is i would have one course burried totally, not bad for your first one just remeber what you are told on compaction, i wouldnt do any pavers for a year or so

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

looks pretty good to me for 1st time!

9. Crusher Run

Parkview, Yes you are correct. Rockwood 6" aren't they beautiful.
    I was planing on burring one course as per the instructions they offer, but when preparing the base I got a little carried away and put to much crushed rock. I will raise the grade up to cover the first course, but haven't figured out what to do about the drain. I don't want it to be visible.
    It's almost been one year, but I don't know when I'm going to finish it...I'm out of $$$

10. Crusher Run

KrayzKajun, Thanks, I agree.