My first rough week this year...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Rained all day Monday, all day Tuesday, not raining right now, but things are soaked and its supposed to start raining around 11:00 this morning and all day Thursday... Since I was starting to skip a few yards the rain is VERY much appreciated, its tough to complain, just hope the customers understand when their yards don't get mowed until Monday....

In situations like this, do you guys normally call each customer and explain????

My one saving grace is that with the weather so dry the previous 6 weeks ,the yards aren't growing much.....

2. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

Its easier to let them call you. Most of my customers don't want to be bothered at home. And they know that I will show up when the weather breaks.

3. Jon99

So even if I can't get to a few Thurday yards until Monday, don't bother them???

4. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

You know your customers they ones that are understanding maybe let got but if you have a few picky ones and uptight ones I would call them and just let them know you will be out when the weather breaks. Most people understand anyway but it is also nice to show them you care and have not forgot.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have a website with an Updates page for me posting schedule updates when I'm behind, and I leave a message on my voicemail for customers to hear when they call. I don't possibly have the time to call everyone, and by now most customers understand when it rains there's a problem. I took an extra day off for the 4th last week and then I got rained on Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues. I ended up just skipping the last half of my route and starting over today. Since the lawns aren't growing fast right now, and usually I'm skipping lawns because of burn out and drought, most customers are pretty understanding.

If they don't understand, then think about getting rid of them. I have weeded out the complainers over time.

:D

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

LOL! Sorry but when you start talking about doing lawns three and four days past due date I have to laugh. If we were that late here someone else would be cutting them. We had 21" from Fri. to Sun. I started cutting my Monday accounts on Tuesday. Some guys were cutting on Monday. The funny thing is we will get about an inch or two and sit in the truck and wait it out for over an hour then gwet back out and start cutting. We just can't stop plain and simple.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't understand how people cut wet grass, or even in the rain. I see guys muckin' it up in yellow ponchos and it kills me. If the grass is too wet, it'll clump and make a mess, especially if it's long. It's more of a waste of time to cut it than waiting until it dries a bit.

And we've had a number of days this year when it rained all day or even most of the day. By the time I'd get loaded up and get going, I would have time to do maybe 3 lawns and call it a day. Cost more than I make. There are plenty of days when it rains for a bit and then stops, and having radar on my phone helps determining when to call it a day, etc. But it still costs time to wait it out in the truck.

:D

8. Jon99

Rained all day today, appeared to be clearing up, was thinking about going out and the skies opened up.... Tommorrow I will TRY to get my Monday's and Tuesdays done, but the Thursday and Fridays might have to wait until Monday, sure hate doing that...

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Jon99,

Sounds like my normal week to me! Man what some rain we have had here this year! If it ain't pooring, I'm mowing. I have to. The schedule is out the window!!! When I can't get them all, I just prioritize and use common sense. Fast growing lawns take priority right after the rain stops. Hard to get places take priority when it's the driest I think it's going to get before the next down pour.

10. Wet as heck in the spring.

I've just evolved some wet weather mowing techniques.
    Toro mowers
    Rubber suits (green not yellow:D )
    Do NOT get behind

Most of my business is commercial & industrial accounts.
    Their intolerance for any excuse is legendary.

I can just hear them saying something like "The replacement we hired in August had no trouble keeping up!"
    Yeah right:rolleyes: