1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by STRINGALATION, Jun 1, 2009.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

clapping::clapping: WELL THE LEFT BED I INSTALLED 2YEARS AGO.

well for starters i dont think its perfect but i give thanks to you great hardscapers of lawnsite just because i have seen hooooorrible wallls
    so i dont think i'm way way off from doing quality work . i only say that to say i know i need improvement but i will get there i promise.

well enough of the stalling here goes.

i re-adjusted a section of wall which i used as a entry exit for 2yards of 50/50 soil compost. i have had good success with this stuff. i got a BOSCH ANGLE GRINDER WITH CRETE BLADE THAT WAS REALLY IMPRESSIVE. MY FIRST CUTS MIND YOU.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Not bad. You're brave for posting the picture of the little triangle wedge that you glued into the back of the cap blocks.

I have more issue with the red dyed mulch. No matter how nice the planting or hardscaping is your eyes are fixated on the red color. If you have to use dyed mulch ( for the customer who can't stand faded bark mulch) use a brown dyed wood mulch which is more natural looking. Just my opinion (as well as that of every landscape architect and most landscape designers).

its a bumpy road but somebody gotta doit
  5. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

that little triangle doesnt work the red blocks here and there dont look right and you should have gone with a black mulch to make things pop out more. but for your first wall its passable.

now that i see it from you guys pespective i agree i could have gotten a single cut to make that turn. the red block accents are for the home. you cannot tell in my photos but those bricks on the house are red with a white wash/dust on them. in person in complements much better

as far as mulch i am a big fan of black mulch but they like red. its all the rage here red and triple shred brown. i was one of the first that i know of to really start using black.

8. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Bed design is bad.
    All customers are wrong so if this is what they want they are stupid.
    you should have talked them into something better.
    The curve is pointless.
    It looks like the rest of the house has hard angles ( no curves) you should have followed that.
    not enough plants! all that bed space for that. Baa
    the space between the windows is begging for somthing with a little hieght.
    I would have carried the bed in an L down to the brick wall to hide the block wall.
    The mix of the red wall stone is bad. I get the tie in but it is still bad. You should have shopped for a different material with a swirl coloring if you wanted to do that kind of tie in.
    The cut pieces are bad.
    Red mulch is a sin against God.
    Unless you are Italian ...than it is perfectly acceptable. if they are Itailian then God would demand some sort of water fountain in the front yard.
    Just kidding.
    but thats what we see in NJ
    Nice try
    It showed imagination.
    but lacked experience. Good luck with future projects
  9. philboudreault

philboudreault LawnSite Member

for a first time it is good....next time make sure ur more level i can spot a bump here or there and when u build a wall like that try to make the cap and stones flow with the curves not have angles or corners. but other wise keep it up...
  10. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

See I like the curve in the bed, not too much of a curve either. Just a little bow out. Just making it straight to mirror the house looks boring. At least with this design it warrants a second look from passerbys.