my first time with meg mo's blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 25, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

there are two things i'll never forget, my first lover(little suzie), and the first time i used meg mo blades. i won't get into detail about the first one, but i'll tell you all about the blades. i finally opened the box this evening, and decided to get a jump on tommorows grass route. i said to chico, "look at these amigo, i bet they don't have nothing like this in mexico." he just looked at me, not a clue what i said. we slapped them on, and away we went. i used them on my 36" bobcat, 15 hp kaw, walkbehind. i brought the highlifts just in case. pulled the string, pushed the lever, sounded like a helicopter. made 4 passes, stopped, looked, ROY YOU ARE A FKN GENIUS!! striped perfect, cut perfect, turned the clippings to freakin dust! then, i have this lady who wants me to bag, i usually empty the catcher 4 times on her property, with meg mo's, only twice! i absolutely love my new blades, the cutting quality is great, and it slices the clipping up to nothing. i will order a set for my 32, and 48 also. i'm sure the real test will come when the grass is wet, i'll keep you posted, but for now i am very impressed. i can't wait to get out tommorow and cut with them some more. i really enjoyed them. in fact, if on my 6th birthday i had meg mo's instead of little suzie, i may have cut grass instead...

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

how are they on the really thick grass?

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How'd they work in relation to horsepower?
    Did they use up more power or was it unnoticable?
    I've been interested in the meg mo's but hear too many conflicting stories.

4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I Believe Double Notched work Better in Wet but the Megs are eXcellent in Long Dry Turf & for Sucking Up Debris!

meg.jpg

5. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Just run double blades. Its just about the same thing as Meg Mows. The only difference I can see is the disk in the middle and the knifes are on a pivot.

I was behind a guy with a field cutting deck today, and it has the same blade arrangement as Meg Mows. Big ol disk in the middle with 4 blades attached to it .

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Ok can you Exmark guys answer my question? I want to know if the Meg-Mo's give as manicured cut as the solid foil high lift Exmark blade in normal growth conditions cutting between 2in to 3in heights.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dv it was more of a strain than the high lifts, but less than the doubles

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

BOBBY I'm glad they worked for you. I agree with you that the MEGs cut the grass up super fine. Be sure and update us on how they work for you in the wet stuff. Especially on the 48.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Good info,that's really what I was looking for.

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

If you had megs on and a OCDC in the down position so the chute was blocked, the wind row would be fine like mulch?

Unlike the normal case where the wind row is small clippings that can clump...

Let us know how they go in stalkier grasses to please, heard various comments. These meg mos should protect spindles more upon impacts too.