1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My first wakadoo, Couple questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynden-Jeff, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a couple questions for you guys. I never thought I would be posting about a wackadoo client but this has peeved me off. So heres my questions:

1. Is it ok to mulch/sidedischarge in the fall? Will this cause the lawn to "rot"?
    2. What is a proper cutting height for a lawn in the fall? I cut at 2.5-3 inches. This lady said I cut it to short but then she also said that if I dont cut it short and bag the grass it will rot the lawn.
    3. She said she is not paying me. She walked across the lawn and saw the entire job before we left and was happy with it.

Any suggestions or should I just be done with her.

2. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Is there a Contract?
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Not that I have. She said she lost it and asked if we could bring another one next time. I said ok and left. Im sure im out 60$ but I still want to know if I did something wrong.

4. thedieselkid

thedieselkid LawnSite Member

Just start pestering her every day with phone calls and visits to her house. Send her a letter stating that she has 30 days to pay or else you are going to small claims court. That will probably scare her into paying.
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

should have told her that if shes so darn good at it, do it herself. If she has an excuse why she doesnt, then tell her to STFU!.
  6. Lynden-Jeff

I called and she hung up. She said if I go on her property she will charge me with tresspassing. I think she is a professional scam artist. I think I will just mail her her invoice once a week for as long as it takes.
  7. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Round-up does wanders at night. shhhhhhhhhhh I didnt say that. :laugh:

nah dont do that. Im sure they can test to see if something was applied.

Good luck getting your money. Also, the next LCO that cuts her yard, tell them what she did to you.
  8. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

why would you think that the lawn will rot if you discharge or mulch the clippings? They will break down and provide nutrients for the plant. Just don't leave large clumps, that will take a long time to break down.
    it sounds like you have cut this lawn more than once.
  9. Lynden-Jeff

No this was the first time. I mean this is my first year but im not stupid and I have done a lot of reading so I know the lawn wont rot. I just wanted to double check that there are no different proceedures for fall cutting. We JUST got a bagger for the rider for leaves but for most clients we side discharge and the lawns are as healthy as can be. I think im going to keep sending these people invoices until they pay.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

ALWAYS make them sign two copies of the contract/agreement, and keep one for yourself.

Without one, you are likely SOL.

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. She's just a beotch from the way it sounds.