1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

My First Wall Job

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by KeystoneLawn&Landscaping, Jul 15, 2007.

1. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Opinions please. Thanks

DSCF0028.jpg

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The corners on the right should not be creating a running bond.

Chris

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

How about the earth on the side to be retained. Would it been posssible? I realize pics dont always show your working conditions.
    Mike

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I see ties on the left and an existing wall on the right. Why not replace the ties with the wall and also connect your wall to the neighbors? You need to retain everything at some point. The dirt area is a good candidate for a washout.

5. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

the right...the property line is half way between my wall and the neighbors "wall" ......my customer and the neighbor still arnt sure what they want to do where the dirt is....they are leaning to putting the neighbors stones in that area....as for the left, customer didnt want to go to the steps....I tried talking her into it but she wouldnt go fot it!

Thanks for the input

6. YardMedic

YardMedic LawnSite Member

Should NOT be?? That's incorrect, and they aren't anyway. They SHOULD be creating a running bond, which they are not (you may have meant that?)

Would have made the return on the left to contain the bed, even if she didn't want it running to the steps. Leave the slope 1-2' from the steps as shown, but contain the parts of the beds that the wall is in front of.

Just my $.02

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm talking top to bottom, so I am NOT incorrect. There is a definite bond line being created at the corner and it is certainly a weak point in the wall.

Chris

8. YardMedic

YardMedic LawnSite Member

The "running bond" would have corrected that "bond line" as you mentioned. As it is shown, it is incorrect. The running bond, the stagger INTO the corner would have been correct.

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

What you are both trying to say is that the corners should be on a half-bond. :) :waving:

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as workmanship i agree the corners has an isssue. Besides that i think the project overall does not look good, and im not picking on your work. 3 walls, large block, color of block not appealing. I guess it looks cramped up in that small yard. Maybe a smaller block , 2 walls with the ends curved back might of looked better. There is definite a mudslide to happen on the right side. My opinion!
    Mike