My first wall (pics)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassyfras, Jun 30, 2003.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my first wall. It's not great but I thought it came out ok.

pics of stuff 027.jpg
  2. grassyfras

pics of stuff 028.jpg
  3. grassyfras

pics of stuff 030.jpg
  4. WildSide

WildSide LawnSite Member

Did you use any base for that? Looks like just the soil would be a fine base because it is only two layers. Just wonderin'.
  5. grassyfras

I did use a few inches of base. I think I had 3/4 clean or crushed or something like that. I also compacted it as best I could. This is more of a demo wall to just see the difficulty of them.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

That look's Great!!!
  7. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Better description would be raised bed.

Don't judge the difficulty of setting two layers and apply it to the expected difficulting of doing a full retaining wall. Two different critters...
  8. grassyfras

I think the tallest wall i would build would be 3 or 4 blocks high. I just wanted to get a feel of how to do them and thought it might help me decided what I want to do with my life.
  9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Agree with Idaho.

The wall that you've done there is fine for that purpose. But it's nothing like what you'd need for a full-scale wall that would actually be retaining a hillside. For that kind of wall you'd definitely want to make sure that you had a solid footing of 6-12" that was compacted and tamped down and you'd want at least 1/2 to 1 full block underground. Then, you'll want to make sure each and every block on the first layer is completely level in all directions (left-right and front-back) as well as the wall being level overall (e.g. placing a long level on several blocks at one time.)

This is all a very long process. When we construct walls such as this, we spend more time constructing the footing and first layer than stacking the blocks on the wall.

For an 80' wall, we might spend 2 full days with a 3 man crew just getting that footing and first layer in. Then the 3rd day would be stacking and backfilling.

OH! And don't forget about drainage! On a bigger wall, you'll want 4-6" of crushed rock behind the wall and then some landscape fabric in between the crushed rock and the dirt. Then at the bottom, a perforated pipe with a sock around it.

I don't mean to criticize the wall you've done. Looks great! But like Idaho said, the wall you did and a real wall are two different critters alltogether. I just don't want you out there building bigger walls the wrong way, because I see way too many people doing that already. If you ever do get into doing bigger walls, do it correctly, as I've outlined above. You won't be the cheapest bid the client gets - but you'll definitely be building the best wall for them. Sell your quality not price. Educate the customer on why your wall will be better.
  10. h-man

h-man LawnSite Member

Just a question for those of you who build these walls day in and day out. Shoud the front be level with the back ends of the wall? Please see the picture should another level of blocks be used to raise the front to meet the height of the back? #1 level with number #2? The wall looks good to me but, I have seen it done the way I am asking? Keep up the great work.