My first water feature! Pics

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Venturewest, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I just completed my first small pond and waterfall this week. It took 3 days start to finish with one helper.

I am pretty excited about this and hope to do a lot more in the near future. Let me know what you think.[​IMG]

PondEmail1.jpg

2. Venturewest

PondEmail2.jpg

Here is another view.

PondEmail2.jpg

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it looks pretty decent. I like the rock.

Is it facing sorta away from the house??

4. Venturewest

The house is an L shape. The part of the house you see in the photo is a room that isn't used much. A large patio with furniture, and great room with a sliding glass door both view the falls and the pond.

The rock is sandstone from eastern oklahoma. The eastern side of the state is absolutely covered with this stuff.

5. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

What products did you use (skimmer, Biofalls, etc.) Looks good to me. Nice work

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Looks good for you first waterfall. I like it. Do you have a pic of the whole project, or one of the pond. I'd like to see what you have at the bottom of the pond, Once the water clears up.

Constructive criticism --- Try to hide your basin on top of the falls with some boulders overhanging the edges. You can see the black plastic. Other than that maybe add in some type of low growing perennial ground cover on the right side of the falls.

Not trying to bust your stones or rain on your parade. Just always thinking about how to add to a project to make it look like it belongs on the cover of a magazine. Nice job. :clapping:

7. Venturewest

There is a piece of flagstone over the falls weir now, although it was my plan to have a spreading water plant (I know almost nothing of water plants) fill up and cover the weir. The lady that I built the pond for is totally into gardening and she already has the pond and everything covered with plants.

As far as components: I used a savio skimmer, the smaller one they offer. I used a Savio 2000+ gph solids handling pump. The weir is an Atlantic Water Gardens filterfalls. I used a 15x15 underlayment and Firestone EPDM liner on the pond and a 5x10 on the falls, stream. I used 3 14 oz cans of waterfall foam.

My total cost on pond components was right at $700.

I am pretty satisfied with all the components except I do not like the way the liner attaches to the falls. If I get a leak it will be there.

When the pond clears up I will take another pond pic. I did a 1' deep edge all the way around the pond. The rest of the pond is 2' deep. The ledge and the bottom of the pond is covered in a couple inches of small river rock. The sides are the same mossy sandstone that the stream is made of. I made a couple of overhanging flat rocks that the fish can hide under.

The pond is only about 7' x 9'.

Question: Have any of you ever done a bog area at the top of the falls instead of using a weir. Seems like it would be alot easier to make it look natural. If so, how did you do it?

8. JohnsonLawn

Looks great. I am in the process of putting a 11' x 16' in my yard. Excavation is ongoing. I was thinking of using a kit I found online from Atlantic Water Gardens. Total cost is $1200.00 including shipping, so I thought it was a deal. I am just afraid of buying junk, would rather spend a little more and get quality, but the Savio kit is almost double. I will post pics soon. Again, great looking pond.

9. Venturewest

If you call pondliner.com and set up a wholesale account they can put together a custom kit for you. Using the savio skimmer and a good pump. I bet they match that 11x16 price pretty easy. I don't think Atlantic Gardens is too bad. I met their rep last year, I just think Savio has a better skimmer from everything I have heard. How big is the pump are you going to use in that kit?

10. JohnsonLawn

This is the kit I am looking at: http://store.123ponds.com/awgkit3.html

Take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks