1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

My first welding project, a trailer cage...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rizzo, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ok, I started out with an 8' Knaphiede truck box I found at an auction for $10. I cut it down to 6.5' with my sawsall and welded that back together then made the frame and cage. I think the metal cost $95 total from the steel supplier and I had to replace one of the box latches for $16. Then about $30 for fiz cans of primer and gloss black. I think it will work for me anyway and it was kind of a fun project. I may make a locking trimmer rack and just put my long handled tools in the basket later. I did think about making a locking mesh door on the basket but I'm not sure yet (still have just the right size piece of mesh left over).

Picture 002.jpg

trailer cage 002.jpg

trailer cage 006.jpg

trailer cage 007.jpg

trailer cage 008.jpg

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good!

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I like it. Nice job!

4. Rizzo

from Iowa

Thanks guys. I used it today for the first time. Kinda sucked though. Had several new customers that had lawns 4.5-6" and needed cut but it was 31 degrees and 25mph winds... Holy brrrrr! And to think it was in the 70's just a few days ago...

5. LindblomRJ

You should weld up a cab with a heater and A/C for the Everride.

6. Rizzo

from Iowa

Lol. I was joking about a heated mower cab with a friend at work today. Just isn't right being this cold again... Although, JRCO does make a nifty snow blade for the ZT... hmmmm

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Doesn't it feel good to be creative. Now you have a cage and can lock up the smaller but pricey hand tools.

Nice job.

8. LindblomRJ

I like the plow idea. Good year round use of a equipment investment.

9. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

That is one of the nicest custom made cages i've ever seen. I like to tool box built into it.

10. Rizzo

from Iowa

Thanks alot Redmax. I think I'm gonna go ahead and make the locking top for the cage also since I have the extra strip of mesh. I would hate to have my new echo power head walk away while I was in the back yard mowing... doh!