My first year....is this normal??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by arapahoetree, Dec 7, 2006.

1. arapahoetree

arapahoetree LawnSite Member

Just finished my first year in the tree trimming business. My gross was about $75k, but after all business expenses (employee, dump fees, rental fees, equipment, etc.) my net was about $20k.

Looking for people in similar situations....was this good? bad? Average?

Any input would be much appreciated. This is my first business venture...and I really have no family or friends who have ever branched out to start their own business.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Did a lot of that loss in gross income come from the purchase of equipment?

Looking at the numbers, I would guess that is the case...

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say that's darn good for your first year. I'm solo and my gross isn't that much (around 65K), but my net is around 20K Can't let the net get too high or else I just have to pay that much more back in taxes...

Sure I get pissed about having that many expences, but if I don't get somehting to show for it they just take it away from me in the end.

4. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations on finishing your first year. Now is the time for reflection on the past year. Sit back and see what you can do differently to trim off some fat (expenses), and see what you can do differently to increase sales, thus income. It is, for the most part, said that if a business makes a profit in their first years they are the lucky ones, cause 1 out of 5 fails in it's first 3 years.

5. arapahoetree

arapahoetree LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the input! More helpful than you know

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

move over I am in the same boat, shocking isntit?