My First Zero Turn Is This Ferris Worth $2800?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by inurb, Mar 20, 2008.

1. inurb

inurb LawnSite Member

A local guy is selling an older Ferris Pro Cut Z with 900 hours and a 23HP Kawi with 52" cutting deck. He's asking 2800 and won't budge. It looks to be in good condition other than some cosmetic scratches, missing decals and a missing right spindle cover.

This is my first zero turn and I just wanted to make sure 2800 is a fair price.
    He turned it on (sounded great) and did a few runs and all seemed well.

It sort of looks like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help you guys are great.

2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

How old is that?

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That think looks old as hell! Hard to tell from the picture but it looks beat.

4. creatived

creatived LawnSite Member

DONT BUY IT A BRAND NEW ONE IS $4995. IN MY EXPERIANCE WITH BUYING USED MACHINES BUY ONE FOR A BACK-UP. YOU DONT NEED DOWNTIME AND CUSTOMERS DONT WAIT. FERRIS IS A GOOD MOWER BUT DEALER AND MECHANICS FOR THEM ARE NOT AS COMMON AS EXMARK. $2800 FOR THIS MACHINE IS CRAZY I HAVE A 2003 EXMARK LAZER 60" ON EBAY RIGHT NOW FOR $1875. GET A BRAND NEW 52" EXMARK WALK BEHIND WITH A SULKY=NO DOWN TIME OR EXPENSIVE REPAIRS. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT BUY THE FERRIS.:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:JUST TRYING TO HELP

5. inurb

inurb LawnSite Member

The photo is not the one I'm buying but just what the model looks like. It was used by a university for field cutting and I think it's a 2000.

6. inurb

inurb LawnSite Member

It looks more like this, the handle bars are different than what I posted in the first photos.
    [​IMG]

Anyone know what model year they were building them like this?

7. creatived

creatived LawnSite Member

THAT MEANS IT WAS RUNNING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME AND IS 8 YEARS OLD DONT SET YOURSELF UP, BUT IF YOU ARE SET ON IT CHECK THE SPINDLES, TYPE OF ENGINE KAWI OR KOHLER PREF KAWI HAS THE MOWER BEEN REPOWERED? BOTH HYDROS THE BELTS COLOR OF THE OIL DOES IT SMOKE? THE HOUR METER MAKE SURE IT HASN'T BEEN DISCONNECTED AND THEN RE-CONNECTED BE CAREFUL I WOULDN'T BUY IT OFFER THE GUY $2000 AND WALK AWAY GIVE HIM A COUPLE DAYS THEN GOOGLE FERRIS DEALERS IN YOU AREA AND ASK THEM WHAT THEY WOULD PAY FOR THAT MACHINE IF YOU TRADED IT IN. BE CAREFUL ZTR RIDERS ARE EFFICENT BUT EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR. EACH HYDRO PUMP IS $600 ENGINE $1800..:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You don't want your first mower to be junk, it would not only be bad for you, but would be bad for Ferris. You would be better of purchasing something about a year old from another person, or purchasing a demo from a dealer (Either way you would have a warranty).

9. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in SE PA I can check it out for you. It looks like the machine is at least 8 years old by looking at the air cleaner. They changed that cleaner awhile back.

10. inurb

inurb LawnSite Member

JNyz I'm on the mainline as well. The guy that's selling this is in Pocopson PA near west chester.