My first zero turn ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rips88, Mar 25, 2008.

1. rips88

rips88 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys, I came across a deal on a scag turf tiger 61" deck hydrostatic drive 2000 year model. It has 1102 hours on it. It has the 22 h.p. kawasaki water cooled engine on it. I called a scag dealer about this and they said the engine was good for 6-7 thousand hours. Is he right or just bs ing me? Anyway the guy wants $3500 for it. He just mowed an orpanage with it once a week for the last 8 years. about 5 hours a week and then it was parked in their shed. The model # is STT61A. what do you think? Deal or Dud? Thanks for your input!!!!!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

In all my years I've never seen any engine make it that long, Not saying it's impossible but I have never seen it.

If the unit's been used as you say and been taken care of and looks good it doesn't sound like that bad a deal.

3. rips88

rips88 LawnSite Member

Thanks restrorob, I thought that didn't sound quite right , but I've only been at this 2 years now, but I thought it might be a good entry level machine for me as I don't want to finance a ten thousand dollar machine right now. Anyways is that a lot of hours for that engine?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Naaa, That's not too bad for the age of the unit. You shouldn't have any problem getting your investment back out of it.

5. rips88

rips88 LawnSite Member

Thanks. I guess that's my biggest worry, engine replacement would probably be the most cost if something went wrong.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

That's low IMO for hours. I have one thats an 03/-4 with 2000 and a Scag I bought two years ago already has close to 800.

I have seen Kawi's go into the 4000 hours. Of course pretty easy and economical to replace a motor if the rest of the unit is in good shape.

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

22 hp for a 61? thats a little underpowered IHMO

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that was the standard motor in 2000. 48" and 52" walkbehinds had 12.5hp motors as standard.

It will be fine except in the heaviest stuff. I have 25hp Kawis and feel they are perfect for a 61".