My first ztr demo!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Eldon, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Eldon

Eldon LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

I demoed my first ZTR today; a Country Clipper Charger. 23 HP kohler w/60" deck. What I had before was 50" JD 316 ( blew the engine last week ). I really like the ZTR but the one thing I don't like is the way it throws out big lumps of grass. Grass was damp when I mowed, but I hate a lawn with lumps and clumps all over it. Do all bigger mower decks do this? My old JD would a little, but not nearly as bad as the clipper. Anybody have any thoughts? Does $66oo sound like a good price for the Clipper?

2. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

I have the 23/52 Charger and love it. I noticed only a little clumping when discharging (not unexpected since I tend to put off mowing until it's pretty high). Just switched to the mulching kit and very satisfied. You should be able to knock at least a couple of hundred off the price (mine was under 6k). Have heard that the JAZee models (also quite rugged) are being seriously discounted (do a search on here). If you go with the 60" deck (which provides better overhang than the 52") why not go for the 25hp engine (only about $200 more)?

3. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Try out an Exmark Lazer. I demoed one a few weeks ago on my property and cut the grass when it was tall in the rain. Not a single clump! I ended up buying the Lazer Z 60" deck with the Kohler 27HP and love it. It also stripes great without a striping kit.

front yard.jpg

4. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I must agree with robertbick. I also purchased an Exmark Lazer this year. It easily cuts wet and tall grass with no clumping. Exmark is soooo worth the extra $$$!

5. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Hey Gripb... very nice stripes! Did you get the striping roller?

6. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Thanks robertbick. Yes I did put the striping roller on. Although, as you know, it did put down some decent stripes prior. I also installed the seat suspension kit. Both items are money well spent.

7. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

A Simple blade change to match the conditions can make ALL the difference when it comes to clumping.

8. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Bantam:
    What blade would you use for damp grass (I never mow unless it's dry)? I'm curious, because the Charger cut much better than the Exmark (and a little better than the Scag and Hustler) and I don't care for straight stripes. A friend is very compulsive about his lawn (mows every 3-4 days, regardless of the weather). He sold his Kubota diesel after trying the Charger and loves it. With the flip-up deck, changing blades is a snap (I've done all three in less 5 minutes) and he'd love to be out there 30 seconds after any downpour. Thanks...

9. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

GripB & robertbick:
    If you're into stripes, make sure you check out Fescue Farmer's thread (Bend those stripes) on the lawncare forum. The heart-shaped stripes on p.2 are pretty neat. He also explains how stripe definition has more to do with your tires than with rollers, chains, rubber strips, etc. (and why he reversed the trim-side tire on his Hustler).

10. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

mowhigh,

Blade type depends on what you are trying to cut, how tall, thick, type, moisture content, etc. The standard Lower lift blades on the Charger do a really good job! Under some conditions, tall sringy type of grasses for example, high lift blades work much better for a clean, one pass cut. Yet under other conditions Gator mulching blades work better. For example, if you wanted to do some weekly type mowing when it is wet Gator's will not plug the underside of the deck as bad, yet will yield a nice cut. I have even done some situations with Gators and High Lift mixtures.

BUT ALL this said, the standard blades work very well most of the time.