1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My First ZTR Ride

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by prosperity, Sep 17, 2006.

1. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

I've been in the mowing business as a second job for years - going to go full time next spring finally.
    Over the years, I've developed an excellent relationship with my closest Deere dealer, and have run garden tractors, and most recently a 2210 sub-CUT diesel with 62" deck.
    So, getting more serious now, I finally took the time to demo a Deere 727A ZTR - my first time on one.

Well, everyone I talked with was right! I just can't believe how fast that thing is once I got used to controlling it. What a blast to operate!

Now, I live in a very rural area, and do feel kind of dedicated to my Deere dealer who has treated me great over the years. My plan is to get a 60" ZTR, which would be the Deere 757. Now I have overcome just "thinking" about the ZTR - a no-brainier now. But, I am getting hung up on one thing. I am a diesel fanatic - all our cars, trucks, and tractors are diesel - kind of weird I guess, but that is how I am. Now Deere of course only makes their largest ZTR in a diesel - much too big for what I need.
    My dealer has another branch, which sells Gravely - took a look at the Gravely site, and say they have a nice 60" model with a LQ diesel. I guess I am going to have to try and demo one of them before I make my decision.

So, I get to thinking, that maybe I should get away from my diesel obsession if possible, and just settle for the air cooled gas engine (shudder.....).

Any opinions?
  2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

My 3cyl. diesel literally sips the fuel. It has plenty of torque for tall, wet grass. My suggestion is to try and purchase an affordable unit - Exmark, Kubota, Hustler, etc. - with a diesel. The Deere diesel is very nice. But, like you said, it is way overpriced compared to other diesels - IMO. :usflag:
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I gave my deere front mount to my father in law to use for the summer, he can't believe how little fuel it uses. Too bad it doesn't such a crappy cut that my wife won't use it. Our daily mowers are all gas.
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the Cub TANKS with the CAT diesel:cool2:
  5. ucfbrian

ucfbrian LawnSite Member

The diesels from any brand are always going to be more money than the comparable gas models. One thing to consider with the diesel is, where can you get it worked on if the motor breaks down. Almost all Lawn Equipment shops can work on the gas models, and they will tell you that they can fix the diesels, but most dont have people certified to work on the diesel. John Deere would be one of the exceptions if they are a dealer that is also selling the fram tractors. If you have a Husqvarna dealer in you area check them out.