My flyer results so far

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LawnMowerMan2003, May 5, 2014.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

I cam pass out 1500 by lunch through vehicle. keep plugging away it works

2. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I think flyers are a great way to start. I started my business back up from nothing this year and walked around and put out about 2200. I now have 24 regular lawn customers from that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldn't you have to throw your flyers out the window to do that? lol

4. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I printed 200 more flyers and hit 2 more neighborhoods. Nobody has called me yet from those 2 (I know, I need to pass out more) but in one neighborhood I saw a guy trying to fix his mower so I stopped to give him my flyer and he asked me for an estimate, and I got the job.

Then yesterday, a real estate agent called me because I left a flyer on one of his properties, and I ended up mowing 2 lawns that were in the same area for him. I'm hoping to get more business from him.

I might be mowing a little too cheap in this neighborhood. I wrote $35 estimates on the flyers for small lawns. It takes me an hour to finish them, so I really should be making more; I'm not sure how much more exactly though.
    It's a little early to say, but it looks like I've had better results with the lower income neighborhood.

On the other hand, I do have a $50 lawn that probably takes close to an hour, in a nicer neighborhood. I forgot to time how long the mowing and trimming took, and I trimmed the ground cover the first time, so I have to wait and see next time I mow it. Maybe I should target both types of neighborhoods so I can get work quickly, but still have some lawns that pay more. I'll update my results again soon.

5. georgialawn88

no i wouldn't. lol

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

^^^ Whew! For a second I thought we were going to hear about the "brilliant" idea of putting a flyer in a baggie with a rock and throwing it out the window onto driveways as you drive by!

7. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

A guy did that in my grandmas neighborhood where i already maintain 6 properties. I got the vibe that it was lazy advertising, yes quick but lazy. I appreciate someone who has the effort to go door to door, i do it(i have friends help sometimes) And put a hanger on it, i think it's more professional and looks good to people ion the neighborhood.

8. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

You need to charge more. $35 for an hour of mowing...after expenses....you'd be shocked at what you actually made an hour. And this $1 a minute theory everyone talks about? Don't follow that theory.

9. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

I am almost 11years in I put a few ads out the other day due to wanting to start expanding down here it is a good way to get around owner of tire/oil change shop good friend of mine got some there, the supermarkets, and gas stations. No matter the age of business it is always a helpful way to bring on more residential clients when looking to expand, our towns are very small 1 red light towns. Pick and choose get rid of the fruit loops and keep the good ones.

We do not Advertise on vehicle (which I plan on getting a stainless or aluminum drop gate sign made up soon) my printer guy moved out last year, we have just gained many customers over the years of people stopping at our jobs wanting us to come do theirs next or neighbors of customers, even landscape companies I have never heard of or met anyone from refer us.

10. georgialawn88

Its an art. I will start at 4 a.m. on sat. and be home by lunch to spend the rest of the day with the family. ill get 1500 out