MY Formulas for bidding maintenace work...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by andyslawncare, Nov 18, 2010.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You might double aerate but if you're using a tow-behind aerator your efforts still lag behind that of a walk-behind aerator and I don't care how many different directions, one time over and you have so many holes, any more and your holes are not evenly spaced out but the walk-behind aerator also digs deeper and has twice the number of tines than that of a tow-behind.

Then again the walk-behind involves more work than sitting on your tush.
    Maybe that's because once again, hard work pays.

I stress THAT to the customer.

2. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

what are your average plot sizes and how much of it is turf?

3. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting numbers. I'm afraid they'd be a bit high for my area. My problem is that I'm always a bit gun shy when it comes to pricing mulch jobs because I'm afraid of ticking off my customers. Consequently I often sell myself short on these jobs and chalk it up to customer service. This is really dumb, I fully admit but I don't know quite how to turn the ship around. The problem is that mulch is expensive to buy, expensive for the labor to put Down and time consuming to go get. But I doubt my customers know just how expensive it is....then if you add a hefty profit to the mix the quote would often sound outrageous, at least to me it would if I was a paying-customer. I wonder if anyone else has this dilemma.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Judo

Judo LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out in the landscaping business. What a wealth of information this forum is in general! Thanks for taking the time to post this information.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. JaysLawnServices

JaysLawnServices LawnSite Member

If I was charging that much for weekly lawn cut, trim, blow, I'd be making double plus some of what I am now. The competition out here is so big though, there's easily 7 lawn care guys in the neighborhood I work and live in, in any give day. We've all diluted each other at this point.

6. Judo

Judo LawnSite Member

Then what's the point of being in business if you can't turn a profit?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. JaysLawnServices

JaysLawnServices LawnSite Member

Because I am turning a profit, and at this point in my life it's the best thing I could be doing really, other than starting a social network that later brings me 1.1bn (Karp...). I'm making 4 times as much as my friends PLUS I get to work outside, and frankly I like my job. Will I be doing lawn maintenance after college? Hell no. If I do anything in this type of business it will be hardscaping and then construction. But I doubt I'll go that route.

8. Judo

Judo LawnSite Member

Do you turn a profit before or after you pay your taxes and insurance? By the way, the average unemployment rate for recent college graduates is around 25%. It's tough out there. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good of you to post this, Andy. Wish I had seen it a couple of years ago. Looks as if you have been inactive here for several months, unfortunately.

For what it's worth: it does not look to me like these are mowing prices.

I have written three long posts on pricing. Links to them can be found within this thread if anyone is interested. I believe it is impossible for any of us to be over educated on what our costs, needs, and production capabilities are. What a competitor charges is interesting and useful but has little to do with what any of our costs or charges are.

Thanks again, Andy.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  10. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how I missed that the first part of his post was for lawn maintenance. My mistake.