1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Friday

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob Minney, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Looked at the schedule and said
    "this is going to be an easy day"

1st stop Drop the gate and spring breaks. OK, gates going to be a back buster today but I'll fix it end of day.
    Start the mower, get about 30' and blades come shooting out from under deck. Busted the bolt. OK FINE, convert 2nd mower from bagger to mulching and continue on.
    2nd stop trimmer gets real loud, muffler is falling off. 1 bolt lost other still there. Tighten one and find another but it wont go in far enough. Other bolt broke off in head. OK Just smile and move on.
    3rd stop mowing in back and a dog cable wraps around the blades-they don't have a dog. Unwind and restart, sounds OK but not good. Please get me through the day.
    4th stop 1/2 way through the job it gives up. No compression. Mower #3 is the push weed mower, its going to be a long day.

Somewhere in there the batteries for my radio died and extra set wasn't charged. Had to listen to myself bi---- all day about going to be spending Saturday doing maintenance.

Anyway everything fixed except dead motor-going to pick up Monday.

broken bolt.jpg
  2. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you need to do some Preventive Maintenance Service(PMS) on your equipment. Man sorry about the day you had, but I guess you had one of those days, keep your chin up and KEEP YOUR BLADES TURNING. I hope you have a better week to come. I have a friend that lives up your way in Broomfield, it is by Denver, but you probrably know that being from CO. "GOOD LUCK DUDE"!!!!!! :cool:
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

It's days like that where your dedication and professionalism shows. We all need a day like that once in awhile just to help us keep our heads on straight. Equipment will break and bodies will tire. I hate being pushed to the limits emotionally and physically but i'll do what it takes to keep my customers happy
  4. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Iv'e had bad days but nothing like that. How much money did you put in the swear jar that day ?:D :D lol
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I think that every one has a day just like yours , at least once a year!
  6. Shoot hits the fan day.

Nothing you could do to prevent it.....
  7. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

With all that going on, I was expecting you to say a rival scum wanna-be LCO came by on Thursday night and messed with all your equipment.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Bob, sometimes you're the hammer and sometimes you're the nail. Don't you appreciate all those days when you're the hammer after a day like that!
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Heck Bob, in my book, that's a half decent day...LOL
  10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Some people would have packed it in after the gate.... but you'll look back and remember this day and laugh out loud to yourself several times....