1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My friend and why I let you guys hardscape

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by twomancrew, Apr 15, 2014.

1. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

My good friend asked me to price replacing his RR tie steps with stone. I told him I don't do that but from what I read on LS he should find a hardscaper who can give standard prices on steps like that. I told him he should expect no less than 5K. He was shocked. I told him to get a small patio with the steps and make the area nice- I thought 8-10K.

A month goes by and he called me down for an aeration on the weekend. He showed me a bid his neighbor gave him for $900. not 9K- no no $900. 7 steps there now maybe a 5 or 6 foot drop but the area is so un-level to begin with and it is all dirt with nothing underneath. 30" gate in the fence is 75 foot from where he wants the steps-or they can carry the mats through the house!

Chris I hope you took my advice and came to LS this morning. This is the section you should be looking at:)call me
  2. Barnabas

Barnabas LawnSite Member

That wont even pay for material...
  3. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

Materials should be 450 so two times materials is what the guy offered.:rolleyes:
  4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Its all good. The guy will make no money but he will learn a valuable lesson.
    I did more than once when I first started this business and I'm still here.

One that sticks to my mind....

Did a 65sqft. walkway with 2 steps, charged her 500.00 Broke one step and spent another 3 hours replacing it. Myself and one man labour for 2 days. :laugh:
  5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I think weve all done a few of those zedo....
    Posted via Mobile Device