My friend's alright, so I think he will be working for me.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone,

I have a friend who I have mentioned before. He worked with me at my other job on the weekends. I work at Dew Fresh egg farm owned by Weaver Brothers. I make $8.00 per hour and work from 5:00AM - whenever on Saturday and Sunday. I have been getting atleast 20 hours each weekend. It is decent pay when you consider that most teens in this area are making 5.25 and hour fastfood, and 5.80 an hour retail stores.

My friend Mike, was involved in a car accident towards the end of May and had two broken feet, bruised spleen, and gash in head. The gash was fairly deep, but heeled up well. He can now walk without crutches, but can't put pressure on the front of his right foot because of the pin in it. He will be getting that removed July 20th, and feels he will then be able to return to work. He went left of center in the accident on the way to school. He is sixteen and had his license only for a month.

The woman he hit died and both cars were totaled. He says he remembers seeing someone in his lane about 30-40 yards ahead, but can't remember anything after that. It kind of shows you how one little action can mess things up so bad. I don't know what all will happen legally. The family spoke to a lawyer and he thinks there will just be a fine. If he returns to work, I'll give him a ride. I'm just happy to see him recover so well and be back to himself.

Anyways, I've talked to him about mowing next year and he wants to at this point. I know I can count on him to work hard and do a good job. He's been working for his uncle's construction business the past few summers. He's been lying about his age so he can work different jobs. As far as a college he worked at knows, he's 20 years old. He also mowed two lawns for a neighbor, country lawns. He used a dixon, so he has experience on a ZTR. I pretty sure he is my safest bet as far as labor. Yes he's my friend, but I know I can count on him.

What do you guys think would be a reasonable wage to pay him? I need to talk to my accountant and see what I would end up paying him after payroll taxes and other taxes. I don't know much about paying an employee as I have never had one. Please give me any advice you have on this issue. I know you say not to hire friends, but I've worked with alot of people my age, and they usualy aren't reliable. Why should I hire some random punk ass whitey:laugh:? Alot of you guys always talk about the trouble you have finding good labor. Thanks for any advice and opinions.

-Nick Howard

2. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

NOPE NOPE AND NOPE. I didn't read the whole post but from my experience of hireing friends is bad. Reason being is that they don't work as fast or efficient as you do. Second of all they think they can show up whenever they want. Even if its 5 min late. That is positively a nono in my book. 5 min b4 is late for me. This is a bad idea man. Just letting you know. Good luck.

3. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you should have read the post. This kid always showed up at work (job on the weekends) at 5:30-5:40 when we didn't start until 6:00. I start at 5:00 now because I have different responsibilities. He is always dressed to work. Why would I hire some punk ***** who hasn't worked a job before or worked at some fast-food place. They haven't seen work. I haven't really seen that hard of work myself, but I sweat buckets (exageration) and work long hours alot of times. I like to route my stuff as best as possible. Do you think an exception can be made?

-Nick Howard

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

He showed up for his other job on time yes but will he show up to work for you, a friend on time? That is the point he was tryin to make. Give it a try if ya want but I wont hire friends because I am more efficient without them.

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Communication is the key to your answer.
    Make sure your friend understands the relationship, being you are the boss and he an employee.
    Given this as an understanding, try him out.
    If, for nothing else, this would be very valuable management experience for you.

6. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

NO NO NO...friend or not....feeling sorry or not...thats trouble brewing. My first year, i hired my cousin. Was the best "worker" ive ever had. He decided to threaten another employee one day(2nd day for the new guy". It was probably one of the hardest decisions i had to make, but i fired my cousin and kept the new guy (whos been working great),,,,My point is (and im sure many will agree(its the old saying) business is business friends are friends. Your asking for trouble there.

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

^^^exactly.. dont mix family and friends with business.. never works..

8. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Give it a try if you want. I know a tree guy around here and they're brothers and they have some nice equipment and have been realy getting into the game. They also have lots of customer base and word of mouth. Most the time it doesn't work but sometimes it does, maybe you'll get lucky.