1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

My front lawn continuously burns...Any advice from a professional landscaper please

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by FDambr123, Aug 18, 2010.

1. FDambr123

FDambr123 LawnSite Member

My front lawn burns around the same time every year. It burns around the hottest months of the year. I was thinking it might need some more topsoil, because the sun beats down on it. Someone else recommended that i should aerate it because the soil is to compact and water doesn't reach the roots. I know that they can be a ton of different reasons as to why it burns but I'm asking for some advice from professional landscapers.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

you prolly have very little topsoil, so it burns out fast.

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Aerate and apply water!

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Water the lawn real good, then jab a shovel into the ground in random spots, to see if the water went into the root zone.
    Chances are, you have hydrophobic surface, likely thatch, and you a cutting too short, and dumping N on the turf, for the hot summer months. All of these tactics are destructive.

5. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

Good answer Glenn.

Definitely aerate. It will allow the water to permeate deeper into the soil, and loosen up the hard compacted surface. Allowing the grass roots to grow deeper into cooler/moister soil... De-Thatching helps also but works best if done a couple months before aerating..

Not to mention this will amplify the effects of any crabgrass prevention program you my already have.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Most likley not enough top soil. Take a shovel and check a few spots. The more the better. I have a couple clients who live on old farm land with almost a foot of nice rich soil. They never water and I have to mow every week in the summer sometimes twice a week in the spring. If you have enough top soil then areate and water.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I have a spot in my backyard where the afternoon sun (3-5) just cooks the grass. My neighbor told me that the sun reflected off his windows and actually burned holes on his deck furniture.

Top that with almost no rain and the extremely hot temps we have had the past few week in Georgia, and their isn't much you can do.

I did an aeration and threw a nice layer of mushroom compost down over the dried out spots and that seems to be helping. The compost acts as an 'insulator' from the sun to help keep the soil temps down.

Also, hand watering is a good thing as well. I have irrigation, but still like to hand water when I can to focus on these burn patches.

8. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

After addressing soil conditions.....if your lawn is in full sun all day consider a shade tree to provide some relief, appropriate size and species as not to cause too much shade but enough so the shadow moves across the lawn during the day and provides some shade to the turf.