1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

my front lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by blk90s13, Apr 20, 2008.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

where do I start ? I don’t want to sod it will cost me a lot of money what’s the perfect way to getting nice thick grass ?

also should I mulch around the trees ? we just got this new property and the yard is one of the many things that need repair

I put up some big pictures so you guys can see what I am talking about any ideas welcome thanks for your advise in advance
  2. Steve Swail

Steve Swail LawnSite Member

Looks like you've got a fairly flat yard which will make it easier for you get grass going. I'd recommend a Turf Type Tall Fescue grass blend for your yard. If I were you I'd probably wait until the early fall before tackling the grass issue (the heat will be here before you know it & unless you water religously you're going to have a hard time keeping new growth alive). Here's a great website that will answer a lot of your questions about the timeline to follow to end up with the yard you want (www.turffiles.ncsu.edu). Basically the steps are to:
    1) Kill the weeds/unwanted grass you have in the yard now. That might mean spraying Roundup & killing the whole thing to start over.
    2) Rake up or "dethatch" the dead grass/weeds to provide open soil for the seed you are going to sow.
    3) Get a soil sample taken of dirt in your yard to know what type & how much of different nutrients you need to apply to grow the grass you want.
    4) Aerate your lawn. Helps the roots grow & loosens the compaction of the soil.
    5) Sow grass seed with starter fertilizer & preferably use a light roller to insure the seeds are in the dirt good.
    6) Water enough to make sure the seeds stay moist, not drenched, just moist.
    Oh, and definitely mulch around the trees, at least a 3 ft ring all the way around. The mulch helps retain moisture & keeps you from hitting the trees when you mow. It'll take some hard work but put some thought & research in to it. Have your plan ready, do things to the yard at the right time & you'll be happy with the results. Good luck.
  3. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks steve thats some great info.
  4. Steve Swail

Steve Swail LawnSite Member

You got it....Good luck with the new lawn & house.