My front mount overseeder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cantoo, May 20, 2003.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I decided my compact tractor was too heavy so I also made mounting brackets to put it on my John Deere 915. It works pretty good when it's wet but as soon as things dry up it doesn't slice deep enough. I have a core aerator I might mount on it instead of the slicer for drier times. I can cover a lot of ground in a hurry and get in more places than using my Ford 1520

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

looks good
  3. cantoo

By the way we hate the using the John Deere to cut grass. It's difficult to keep straight lines with it. We also have Walkers and a MTD Pro Z midmount so we aren't used to the rear wheel steering yet. I used to have a front mount Ransomes and couldn't cut straight with it either. It seems like when you try to straighten a line you overdo it and swing wide making curvy lines. We have tried it on the soccer fields several times and just can't get it right. It is also takes longer to cut using it. On same sized fields the MTD will be done and the jd is about 2/3 across the field. Even though the speed is about the same it takes longer to turn at the ends and needs more room.
  4. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good. What kind of over seeder is that?? Look like what I have been looking for.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Looks good.. but I would think it would be ideal for the seeder to be behind the slicer.. no? Or do you drive backwards all the time?
  6. looks mint.
  7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

thats exactly what i was thinking Lawn-Scapes. also not sure of the weight but can the hydralics lift it for transport mode? with all that equipment on the front how is it at loading?
  8. cantoo

I can't think of the brand right now, maybe bannerman? It looks heavy out front but that's actually just the tin hopper. It is a 3 point hitch one and is set up the same way as from the factory. I also thought the slicer should be infront of the hopper but it seems to work good as is. It lifts fine and isn't a problem to load. Just got a job for it tonight I have to rototil first level then seed it. I will likely just use the ford because I'll be seeding into bare topsoil. It's a nice small job to squeeze in. We're pretty much swamped with spraying and cutting right now, but I hate to turn down work. $$
  9. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I also have an old JD 915 and just bought a 48" core aerator from capt devo to mount on it. When I get caught up I will weld up a mounting bracket. I plan to core this fall and apply seed and starter fert with my lesco spreader. Do you get good results with that all in one unit? looks great!
  10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Nice looking setup indeed. That looks like a real time saver over the method that I use for seeding work.