My Goal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lsu03, Apr 8, 2007.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

I am 18 and a freshman in a college 30 minutes away. i live at home with my family. i am considering starting mowing lawns in the city that the college is in (lafayette). i am hoping to target 3 main areas and stick to those areas 1.the upscale area in the center of town with lots ranging from 2000 to 30000 square feet. http://riverranch.info/riverranch/CommunityPlan.htm
    2.the south side of town that is uppermiddle class with lots mainly consisting of 1/2 acre to 1 1/2 acre lots.
    3. the area between there and my town- mainly 1-3 acre lots.

my friend might be interested in working with me. as of now i have a f150 w/ little v6. i plan to buy a 10x6 trailer, $2500 ztr, backpack blower, and weedeater. i plan to work an hour after classes monday to thursday and most of my free day on friday. so i plan to work about 12 hours a week. does this sound good?

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Im 21 and a full time student and I live at school about 15 mins away from home. I just set my schedule up to where I start between 9-11am and am done by 2pm all days. I go home and cut from about 3pm to dark MWF and then work other jobs on the weekends. Works out all right just a little more driving then I would like.

Your schedule wont be like high school where you go all day so you should be able to work more than 1 lousy hour a day. Start your classes early and dont take any breaks and you will be out earlier. Its a tough situation, hopefully you manage your time well.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm working in a restaurant 25-30 hours a week, going to college part time (10 credits) and am starting out in the business (again). There's money to be made if you can keep your initial costs down, but realize that when money needs to be spent on equipment, spend it, but cut costs elsewhere. My costs are basically nothing, between taxes, insurance, fuel, a small personal loan, and a cell phone bill, I'm only looking at $500 a month. Some guys starting out have a $500 a month truck payment alone! My advice is to keep your truck, buy commercial equipment so that once it's paid for, you'll get a few years out of it and just go to work.

4. SongBird LawnCare

SongBird LawnCare LawnSite Member

i can't pass up a comment on your truck.

nice.. i got the same one. just a year before...

they run forever..

"keep your truck"...

that definately applies with one of those..

how many miles do you got on it?

5. lsu03

the truck is a extended cab xl 2000 model. it has about 170,000 miles on it. it was my dad's truck. he's a farmer. the only flaw is a slight dent on the back left when he jackknifed a trailer in the mud.

6. lsu03

i plan to buy all commercial blowers, weedeaters, edgers, pushmowers, and then a residential ztr to start. i might be able to get a free trailer from my dad. if i get enough accounts my first year, probably my ztr will need to be replaced w/ a commercial john deere 48" ztr.

on the residential mower, i can finance 2 years at 80 bucks a month. with the jd ztr, i hope to finance 3 years @ $220 a month.

7. lsu03

how big of an open yard, (or maybe w/ a fence w/ a gate large enough to pass through with a gate) could i do in an hour?

8. lsu03

how big of an open yard, (or maybe w/ a fence w/ a gate large enough to pass through with a gate) could i do in an hour?

9. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

im a full time student and scheduled my classes tuesday and thursday from 8-11 and monday morning 8-9:15. I have one online class. I still am able to work and have my company turn between 3-4k a week. Its all in the time management.

10. lsu03

i will probably get an open trailer. my question is would it be smart just to lock down all of my stuff and go to school w/ it in the morning since i will probably cut in the same city? it would be in clear view of major roads so theft might be a smaller issue.