My God

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You make a joke, yes? :confused: :)

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

No, I am just trying to imagine properly watering a 3-4ft wide strip with trees planted in the middle with separate zones for trees and turf and the PIA factor for install and future service work.:dizzy:

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I remember doing strip zones with all manner of assorted heads, depending on dimensions and obstacles. Nelson had a useful brass nozzle for wide strips.

4. Mike Leary

You are right to ask; it is a pain in the butt, and expensive. However, if you've got a tree, which has a much deeper root zone than does turf, a zone split is the only answer. Now that I think about it, I'd bet all the street trees that came down had irrigation for the turf only, causing the shallow rooting which made for the tree's demise. :cry:

5. irritation

It's a little hard to cover the turf above the root zone without watering the tree. Add in the 4' melting snow piles from plowing and spring rains.:confused:

6. Mike Leary

Big deal, trees do not like their bark wet consistently, it a cause of diseases. That being said, it is possible to properly design a dual zone system to deep water the trees and keep the turf happy without waste and the possibility of root rot.

7. irritation

I agree, I'm just saying trees shouldn't be planted in the 'tree belt'.

8. Mike Leary

Yup, convince the LA and the client that is true and you get my award.

9. irritation

I actually have a client that cut down his trees in the strip because of problems mentioned.
    He had the fight the HOA because it's mandatory to have trees along the strip.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

"Street Strip"