My Hands are killing me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve9, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

At the risk of being called a wuss by the rest of you i need help. I'm using a Skag 36 BD for the first full season. My hands hurt so freaking bad! Besides the fact I'm getting "Popeye" forearms from it my hands are blistered from using the thing. I even bought gloves with gel pads in them.
    Can you buy better grips than the hard plastic ones that come stock on these things? Maybe I don't have my brakes setup right and I'm having to squeeze to hard?
    I was showing my friend my new proslide and after 3 minutes he was hurting too.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

steve--you either got something bad wrong or you are doing something bad wrong.

you should wear good gloves and have no blisters at all...EVER... from mowing with that thing!

for heaven sakes...you only use the strength in your hands to turn a sharp turn.

when you aren't turning, your hands aren't doing anything.

GEO :eek:

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve, it sounds like your right about the springs being too tight. I used to use a scag WB and it wasn't that bad. Try adjusting the spring tension, that should help.. I will admit though, I think scag's handle's are a little more difficult to squeeze than some others I've used.

4. j.p.landscaping

j.p.landscaping LawnSite Member

I agree with geogunn, something is very wrong. I can cut all day with my 48" belt drive scag with no problem. If you find yourself squeezing the handles too hard it's time to look at your adjustments.

5. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I used to use a 48 with the pistol grip when I worked for someone else and hated it my hands would kill me. Then when I went on my own I bought a new exmark metro with the ecs controls and love it.

6. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Well i just mowed 10 lawns with it and im dying. My customers probably wonder why thier lawn guy cries when he mows. I have to squeeze so friggin hard its tearin me up.
    Funny thing is I went to a chiropracter early this year and ran all these tests. One was he makes you squeeze this thing that measures grip strength. He was shocked and asked me what I did for a living. I didnt even think about the mower.
    Anybody know exactly where i need to adjust? I'll go take a look at it later. Its 108 with the heat index here in Dallas and i can see the grass burning up!

7. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

Theres a few things with gear walk behinds. I have never used a scag so it might be different from what I know.

Adjust all the linkage to the manual. When you move the adjusting nut one way it effects not only the lever tension but the belt. Make sure you can
    easily set the brake "N" lock latch. Make sure that it wont slip on when make a zero turn.

Don't fight the mower use the slipping belt/brakes
    to turn. Don't try and use it like a bike. It turns not you turning it.

Make sure your holding the end of the handles. Don't choke up to far or you lose your leverage and you would have to squeeze harder.