My head is going to explode.

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by starry night, Apr 15, 2011.

1. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Ok fellas, I've been studying for about a month so far in preparation for adding landscape lighting to my business.
    I've read a lot including manufacturers websites and the archives of this forum. My eyeballs are spinning in my head.:dizzy:

I've seen grazing and washing. It's torroidal cores and ampacity. Color binning and lumen degradation. It's about constant current drivers and galvanic corrosion. And there's RGB, AOLP, CLVLT and .........OMG.......

Wouldn't it be easier to go Lowe's and a get a few Malibu's.?

2. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

On the outside it seems easier than it really is. Many people believe that great landscape lighting is simple and easy. It is and it isn't, as you have been finding out. Hang in there, it will all make sense one day, grasshopper. :)

You should also check out AOLP.

3. starry night

I should have put in a couple :laugh: :laugh:
    I was only being half-serious. Yes, there is much to learn and I'm enjoying the challenge. After, I learn the technical side, I am looking forward to using one of my assets, my natural eye for good design.

Thanks Tommy.

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

what most folks won't tell you is how much better you will get with time if you care. I look back at the jobs I did a decade or two ago, and I can't believe I did that. even 5 years ago, I was still learning alot. The trees I uplit 5 years ago don't look near as good as the ones I do now. when I rebulb many now, I find myself moving fixtures to correct things I did wrong. I will also confess, even after all these years, I still can't seem to get moonlighting right, but I still try from time to time. perhaps in another decade or two I'll have that nailed down.

The goal should be to make every job better than the last.

5. starry night

Thanks for your comments David. I know what you are saying. I feel the same way about some of the landscape design I did years ago. While it was not bad, it was not nearly as sophisticated as I can do now.

I'm really excited about the prospects of lighting in my market because there are many upscale homes, including a resort area, but lighting is untapped.

6. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

David, what is it you struggle with here?

7. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone can string some lights together power the transformer on and out will come light.

My learning curve has constantly been new installation techniques. Finding creative ways to hide and install fixtures.

You can learn how to wire stuff up in a book or at a 35.00 Vista class at your local JDL. It's the "oh shoot did I just drill that hole there?" stuff that will improve what you are doing.

It's an easy addition on the outside but if you are going to be good at it you will almost need to drop other stuff to focus on lighting.

8. starry night

Actually that is my plan: to focus on lighting. (Although, I see YOU do much more,)

9. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Once you get the basics, it's trial and error time. Do yourself a favor and get a bunch of lights. Bullets, washes and others and just play with them at night. You'll soon see what it takes to get the effects you want in your designs.

Best of luck to you,

10. starry night

Thanks for the tip. That sounds like a great idea for learning what effects one can create with various fixtures and lamps.

(I have to get a new avatar. You lighting guys are too sophisticated for Alfred E. Neuman.)