1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Hell Week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, May 23, 2004.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Anything and everything that could go wrong in the last 10 days has and then some. For starters it has rained so much here that it has been impossible to stay caught up. Mowing in the rain isnt even an option due to the amount we have gotten. I had an unavoidable trip out of town wed-sat. Tried to get as much stuff done that tues before I left, and I hit a metal stake in the ground because the grass was so long. Off to my dealer to find out I bent the spindle. Mowing was over for the day my 61" wouldnt work out on the jobs I needed to do. I was almost of gas so I stopped and filled up and my bank card wouldnt work. So I had to go home get cash and go pay for my gas which was a good 20-25 min away. Checked out which customers still owed me money, 95% hadnt paid and the due date on all invoices were May 15th. I was unloading my mower off my trailer forgot to latch it so the trailer popped up and out of reaction I hit forward on my mower where the trailer then dragged down the tailgate of my truck and put a real nice gauge down the back. Returned home on sat, went to bed and hoped my nightmare was over, WRONG. Woke up sunday moring to a real nice message on my phone. Customer thinks I mowed her sump pump hose to drain into her window well which flooded her basement. She called an attorney and was pretty irrate with me. I have insurance thank God. I'm not even sure if I moved the hose or not, she had landscapers working there a few days before I mowed last week. I wanted to catch up on some work today, Sunday, finished 1 job half way through it started raining. Suppose to rain Monday to. Things can only get better I'm hoping.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just look ahead That is all I can say. The last 2 weeks have been the worst mowing that I have ever done. Equipment breaking down left and right and yes, I too took a chunk out of my tailgate when I was unloading grass clippings. But just look ahead and try to be positive. That is what I am going to try to do...hopefully
  3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Had my main truck go down thursday which i have only had for two weeks(tranny issues)truck is a 2000 dodge 2500 only 50 k miles been in the shop since thursday and still dont have it.My other truck is out of town so its of no use this weekend.Anyone from the new england area knows the grass is growing like crazy right now and some of my accounts i have already missed a week do to the breakdown.Now its pouring like crazy, truck should be done late monday if all goes well.I will have all my accounts to do plus the ones i havnt done in a week which no doubt will be extremly long. To top it off i have three mulch jobs to complete before memorial day:eek:
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, what is up with the weather in the upper Midwest? That's what the mid-Atlantic was like last year, only I wasn't mowing then.

Just so you guys know, lots of rain this year means the lawns will grow like crazy next spring, so be prepared to double mow a lot come next April.
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've never seen a reliable dodge transmission. i'm sure they are out there, just never heard of a good solid one in the 94+ full size trucks.
  6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

thats why you avoid dodge

GMC makes the only dependable large size truck. Ford f350's and some 250s are a dime a dozen due to several mechanical failures. Nothing wrong with the 2500HD, or DURAMAX>

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

can you find me one of those dime a dozen 3/4 or 1 ton fords? all the ones i keep pricing are 20k and up, used.
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Hehe, the 2002 DuraCrap's had a really bad piston slap where theyc alled back a ton of engines/trucks.
  9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i had a ford that was costing me about 500 a month on repairs.My mechanic said to not buy another ford the newer ones are in the shop a lot.My mechanic at the firehouse told me to look into dodges, so i did and now its in the shop :rolleyes:
  10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never had a problem with any of my Fords... I have an older one with over 275,000 miles and a 2003 model with 35,000 miles. Getting ready to buy another one here in the next couple of days. Maybe it's just me, but I think Fords rule!