my homeade tailgate assist

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Nov 22, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i built this useing 2" metal conduit and a 160# garage door spring which came with the cable the roller are two 2" garage door cable rollers made the bracket with some scape steel cost me about $20 dollars:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

2. rookiemower

sorry forgot to attach pic

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Man, it's like it's not even there! :p

4. rookiemower

sorry here the pic guys:cool2:

mvc-014s.jpg

5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good mate!

Looks alot safer than some others I've seen. Ie BHB's setup was an accident waiting to happen.

Very nice job. I like the cable atach pully setup!. Can you see the end of the spring when the tail gates down?

Yes.......Very ingeniouse

6. Mr. Von

Mr. Von LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Rookie,

Looks nice!

7. rookiemower

nope the spring never leaves the tube it is also surrounded by a safety cable in the tube in case it ever snapped the rollers are ball bearing and they keep cable from rubbing rails thats also why the tube is raised from the rail

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

just curious why do you have a chain at the end of the cable? Why didn't you just run the cable to the gate? If you used Aircraft cable, its basicly steel cable with galvanizing and will corrode and break at the point where it flexes around the pullies when open. Stainless will last 3 times longer.

9. rookiemower

1grnlwn the reason was i found this easier to ajust ,and if chain rubs it wont fray cable no matter how good will just my 2 cents

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Nice! I've got a 5x10 with a similar sized gate. What size spring did you use for that?