1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Homemade OCDC.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greg78, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Made this today for my Dad's mower. I used the floor off of my old sulky for the cover, threaded rod for the handle and some angle I had laying around. Cost me nothing but about 4 hours.

I still need to put holes in it and cut of part of the handle.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

looks pretty darn good to me.

only thing i would question is if it goes all the way verticl in the up position. if not, it will be a hazard and bend easy if hit
  3. Greg78

It doesn't go all the way vertical. My dad is used to mowing with a normal discharge chute down so hopefully this won't be a problem.
  4. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't worry about drilling holes in the chute as they just plug up with grass anyway.
  5. Greg78

Already put holes in it. Helped with blow-out and getting me dirty.
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

it does. i had a buddy make some for my kubotas a few years ago. really do pretty nice but never completed them with a way to put them up or down. i have to get off the mower to use them which made them kinda useless. i need to work on that. really wanted to motorize them, but the power chute is so overpriced, even for just the motor and linkages. i can get the motor cheap at autozone, but the linkages are hard to get right on your own design, has to be the right arc etc.

KFLAWN LawnSite Member
    from Mi

youre def. wanna make it so it goes up higher. you might be catchin some grass the way it is.. good job
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When discharging you need something to keep the wind from blowing the stuff back up in your face so I think it is good to have a mid point.
  9. Greg78

Dad used it for last 3 days and said he didn't know how he done without for so long. It worked perfect keeping clippings off of hard surfaces and out of beds.

I might need to replace the cover with some thicker material, it got a ding from a stick being thrown into it by the blades.
  10. Humbertslawncare

Humbertslawncare LawnSite Member
    from SC

Man, that looks great. I want to build one for my mower. What makes the plate stay in the up or down position?