My homemade roller stripper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G.M.Landscaping, Aug 6, 2006.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Used gas lift supports for the downward pressure. Rollers made out of PVC pipe. I haven't tested it out yet.
    IM001899 (Medium).JPG

IM001903 (Medium).JPG

IM001906 (Medium).JPG

IM001900 (Medium).JPG
    This was my first design. The springs would bend and finally break.
    IM001827 (Small).JPG

I put a digital scale under my new design rollers and it read 52 Lbs.
    I'm thinking it may be too much since the rollers don't roll now, just slide(well at least on my trailer,haven't tried it in grass). My old setup they would roll, but not as much pressure.

I think I need roller bearings in the rollers to correct this problem.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

IM001899 (Medium).JPG

IM001903 (Medium).JPG

IM001906 (Medium).JPG

IM001900 (Medium).JPG

IM001827 (Small).JPG

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

hmmmmmmm i like the idea, might be too much pressure tho, i dont think you need 52 pds, lol but let us know how it does im interested.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Time to take the torch to them bad boys and weaken them up some!

lol don't really do that, I don't want to read about you in the paper.

I like the design, in theory that's great, maybe if you reset the mounting point of the shocks alittle higher, so that the roller will sit 1/2" above the ground, then you'd be golden. This way your shocks are going to keep it pretty stiff at 1/2" above ground level but in the even that it has to raise up (bump/root/dog) the shocks can do their job and adjust up some and glide over the object. You also have to remember that putting a scale under neith that isn't giving a true reading, are the shocks all the way expanded when the roller is touching the ground? in that case theres not 52lbs of pressure on the grass, but rather 52ish lbs of pressure needed to move it up X" (x being the thickness of the scale).

4. G.M.Landscaping

As it sits on the trailer flat, the roller can go down another 1-1/2" to 2". I weighed it as it sits on the trailer.

I got these shocks off a s-10 blazer hatch back. Not sure of the PSI they deliever. I'm thinking around 45psi. You can buy them from 25 to 90 PSI.

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

What is that big hunk of metal for at the discharge?
    Striper looks good! Good luck hope it stripes well for you.

6. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

im thinking its for a grass catcher?:hammerhead:

7. G.M.Landscaping

That hunk would be Lesco's bagging system. I thought this was the norm until I came to this site. It works pretty well thou.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hey that's pretty neat, I like the shocks, what a neat idea...
    Looks like one of those $200 J-Thomas velkes, I just got one myself, too bad they don't fold up under themselves but I guess that also protects the rider in case of accidental FAST backing up lol.

I recently got my old Wb working again (new Tecumseh), and decided to try a dual-stripe kit approach, it does make a difference... I had made a chain kit some time ago and I also have the Chekmate pro kit, so I drilled some holes also notice where it hooks to the Wb, I replaced the Checkmate's stupid nuts and bolts system with clevis pins and hairclips (so it's quick-release), why they didn't think of that... Oh well...

So chains under the frame, rollers come in behind that.
    Pardon the yellow circle around the transmission, was showing someone else ...

Now, what THIS thing won't stripe, will not stripe lol:
    [​IMG]

9. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

What broke on your transmission? I have the same one on my bobcat and I thought it went bad and was going to buy a new one until I went to my dealer and he said to check the square pulley locking pins inside. So I said ok and sure enough they were broken and it only cost $60 to fix.

10. G.M.Landscaping

Topsites, my velke used to only pivot 3/4 around. I re-designed it so it pivots all the way around now. I ordered it online not knowing it did that. Man was I pissed the first time I backed up. I cut it up and welded it to work properly.

Thanks for the comments so far.