My Homemade Striper!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bbailey, Aug 26, 2006.

1. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Here is my striper that I made for my Z-trak. Cost $0.00, just used some stuff I already had and a little time. Tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Lets see some stripes then we can tell if it's rigid enough to lay the grass down. But it should work if it cant get under a tire when backing up in a ditch or something.

3. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

it looks very nice. what is the flap made out of.

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

looks good, but is that rubber or metal? if it's metal then it could tear the lawn.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Man, it sure looks like it would work to me! Nice job. It sure beats paying a few hundre dollars for something that does the same thing. I WOULD be inclined to think that maybe it would need a little more flap dragging, though. One hard stroke that thin doesn't seem like it would do much. The lomger the grass is stroked, the more effect it has. Hence, the larger (wider diameter) a roller is, the more it does. Chains, the same way. Chains REALLY do it - as long as they are mounted dense enough. You have to have a bunch of them close together. I've seen some that were just too thin - spaced out too thin.
    Anyway, I hope this works for you! If t doesn't, cut a longer flap. If it rolls and folds under,...so what.

6. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

One piece of 1 inch angle iron and a 6 inch piece of truck mudflap bolted to it. This is what the stripes look like!

Attached Files:

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it needs to be a bit lower on the grass.

8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of truck mudflap. semi or different?

9. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I set the rubber flap so that it is just above the ground. Does not get caught under the tires and does not tear the grass when backing or turning the machine. Thanks for the replies so far. It is a lot cheaper than the $300. one the dealer wanted to sell me and it seems to work just fine.

Attached Files:

10. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Semi truck mudflap, pretty thick.