My humble beginnings

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by pwarren4, Jun 29, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

have you ever thought about hanging the weed wacker inside the trailer? that way you won't bang it up if you going down a driveway and there are some bushes and trees along it.

2. No the trailer did not come from Lowe's. There is a group of guys in Nashville building and selling them.

Cost was $540+tax hooked up, ready to go.

I could understand that Mini-Van setup working quite well. :)

Just for the record, a little history I think would help better explain how I got to this situation. (FWIW of course).

I purchased my Vibe in June of 2003 for the sole task of handling the 45-mile one-way commute to my full time job. The Vibe proved to be superior to the Blazer I had previously for this task. The Vibe also does very well when it is time for me, the wife and my two kids want to go somewhere together. The Blazer I had was a 98 model with 135K on the odometer and was shot. I managed to get it to the dealer/shop where the repair bills to make it drivable and safe exceeded the worth of the vehicle (by almost twice!). I inquired about trading and through the rebates and discounts available at the time a trade was negotiated, and I was very pleased with the outcome.

Fast forward to spring 2004-
    1. My fulltime job company had "downsized" and reduced the pay rate by 6% for everyone and cut out all overtime. This hit the billfold pretty hard and generated lots of extra time not known of for 10 years+.
    2. My WallieWorld push lawnmower had proven to be a bigger POS than ever expected, I was tired of rigging it and dealing with it’s weight (it was supposed to be self-propelled which was way to slow, and pushing that beast was a chore).
    3. My father-in-law was diagnosed with colon cancer during the winter and was not able to mow his own lawn for a while. He has since gone into remission and has bought himself a new Husqvarna LT.
    4. My sister needed help keeping up her lawn.

With these 4 reasons I found myself searching for a good commercial grade mower so hopefully it would be my “last” mower. I know this is wishful thinking since I’m only 34 and it is unreasonable to expect any mower to last 30 years+. The whole time I was shopping I had the idea of pursuing other people’s lawns for extra money in the back of my head due to reason #1 noted above, which also fueled the quest for a commercial grade mower.

It didn’t take long to find myself at the eXmark dealer and the pictures tell the rest of the story. I have 5 regular accounts now and a few more calling me “as-needed” or about once a month, my sister’s and mine which gives me 7 total yards I’m maintaining.

I know this is small by the standards portrayed at this site, but hey, I still consider myself just starting out and I’m actively pursuing more work for me and my eXmark.

Like I said. I’m posting this FWIW which is absolutely nothing to most, just thought I’d share a little history.

3. Some sort of upgrade is definitely needed, haven’t decided on which route to take yet though. I would like to make some sort of mount for on top of the front rail *shrugs*

4. nevermind - tried posting during forum malfunction

5. nevermind again

6. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey PW
    Your rig is a lot nicer. than what I started with, Keep on Keeping and the accounts will come and your need to upgrade will be there.
    I started with a 21" push mower and a street broom, and it work for me. Didn't have a trailer, had to haul it all in the back of my truck, I really thought I hit the big times when I bought me a Craftsman and a weed eater blower. Man I was in Lawn Heaven. I guess what I am saying you have to start somewhere and it looks like you got a good start. Good Luck and God Speed.

7. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Well you should see my setup 2002 hyundai elantra pulling a 1971 litle dude trailer 6x8 foot that I restored.I have a 48" JD GS45 along with all my gas can trimmer, blower, rototiller arins push and cubcadet push. I get some strange looks but, at least I didn't bury myself in debt so I'll be in business next year and hoping to go full time.

8. Rock on Meathead

:cool:

9. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

Best of luck to you both.

10. McCauley3

McCauley3 LawnSite Member
    from WF, Tx

PW, here's my 5X8 with at 32" metro, 2 21" toros. Same trimmer rack as you've got, from Lowes. I also got a Jungle Jim's Blower Mate, it works great. It's a small trailer, but anything bigger wouldn't be necessary...Good Luck to you.

mmc 014.jpg