1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

My Hustler Super Z has 75 hours.. How much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnBanks, Jun 24, 2010.

1. JohnBanks

JohnBanks LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

HI,
    Thinking about selling my Super Z with 75 hours 2010 model. How much depreciation did it have in the midwest????

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Not sure you might need to talk to a dealer about trading it. I just sold my 2006 Super Z 1100 hrs for $3500. Now I need a new mower fast.

3. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

May I ask why are you selling it? Not happy with the cut or other reason?

4. JohnBanks

JohnBanks LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

The cut is annoying. I have to double cut most yards. Doesn't stripe very well. I am going to try G6 blades and if that doesn't help I might throw it in a pond. This one as opposed to MJB seems to be built well and won't break as much, other than how many drive belts I will break with sticks.

Doesn't save a ton of time over my Deere 737 mowers.

5. cujrh10

cujrh10 LawnSite Member

That really stinks. I'm looking hard at these and this post scares me a bit.

I'm guessing its probably worth a couple hundred bucks at this point. give me a call and I'll pay double that :D j/k

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

John The stripe roller does an excellent job of striping on the Hustler. I had to put both front air baffles in the highest position to improve the cut using mulching blades. But it still leaves a few stragglers at times side discharging.
    But as far as striping it as good as any of them if you use the roller.

7. Exmark#1

Exmark#1 LawnSite Member
    from MO

What kind of grass are you mowing when it is leaving stringers? Let me know if you come up with a price too.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

To answer your question: You can pretty well figure that a ZTR will lose 30% of it's value immediatly after it is sold, and used to mow grass a few times. This may seem like a lot, but unless you are very lucky in selling it, that is what you can expect.
    Given today's economy, you will be lucky to get it sold at that pricing. If a prospective buyer has fairly good credit, they can buy a new one and finance it for a long time, at very low interest rates. They will not be able to do that when buying your used machine. This makes a new, although higher priced machine, a better deal than your nearly new, used one.

9. cujrh10

cujrh10 LawnSite Member

I can vouch for this. He just described the situation I'm in and the approach I intend on taking. Good call Mowingman

10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

It all depends on what you are willing to sell it for and if a buyer is out there. I sold a one year old Super Z 31Kawi 72" deck for 8K w/250hrs on it. I bought it for 10.2K OTD while some would say that is a hit at around $9/hr it made a good chunk of change last year using it. Put it up for sale this spring as I didn't think it would get as much use this year with the 72" deck and someone bought it. Got lucky I guess.

Also it depends on if you bought it at the right price or not.