My ideal work environment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 23, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I will let you know about my ideal work environment (climate)

Jan-Feb: Receive some snow, nothing much. Mostly just a dusting here and there, everything is dormant.

March: Start spring clean ups , maybe start some mowing

April: Start mowing right away

May-November: Steading Mowing

November: Just starting fall clean ups

End of December: Just finishing up fall clean ups before New Years

Anybody know of a place where the climate is like this all the time?? Because I would love to move there.

2. vkurt711

vkurt711 LawnSite Member

That's pretty much how my year went. But I am sure you would hate it here!!!:p If this is ideal for you, what is reality?

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Virginia, mid-Atlantic region in general. Unless there's snow on the ground you can start up in late-Feb or early March, start mowing late-March/early April.

Still tons of leaves in the trees, you can keep going well into December.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

clear a spare bedroom for me, because I am moving there then

5. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

You have described southeastern N. C. to a T

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

My perfect climate is 72 degrees with the heat on in the winter and the ac in the summer. I prefer to have the TV on or I'll settle for the stereo. Prefer the lazy boy chair but when the work gets built up I move into a desk chair and pull it up and start to really hit the keys. after a cple hrs it over to the phone for an hr or so of DIRECT contact with potential customers. Nap time and then I'll take to the rd and check on how things are going and then back home by 1-2 pm. Exhausting pace to keep up 2-3 days a wk but its something you learn to live with. Dam can't wait for retirement

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, certainly eastern and piedmont NC.
    Occasionally it can be that way here in the west.
    But the foothills and mountain climate can make it a stretch.
    Just depends.

I used to push hard for the early starts at least, and I may end up pushing for that again next season. But I can't say I 'like' the early season work. Febuary and March can deliever us some of our harshest weather. But what I hate about it the most is the wind. So I have not pushed for and ran a full schedule starting March 1st in a while and it has really felt great for me to be able to relax and do without it. But that has got to change.

For 2005, I began full schedule in Mid-March in order to get things in shape for Easter weekend. Basically I like years like this where the main schedule runs from just before Easter until just before Thanksgiving. But 'when' Easter is varies and it does not always work out this way.

So anyways, had a good year with a Mid-March start. Ran smooth through August when it began to get dry. Then September 1st it was like someone flipped a switch. Temps dropped like 30-40 degrees overnight. Since, daytime temps have ran up and down from the 40's to the 80's and the hard frosts started early. The warm season grasses also went dormant early. That was the beginnings of a bezerk fall season. Really dry all of September and not a lot better in October. I had drought leaf drops, then the leaves started to come off pretty good in October. Had a few heavy drops in late October and early November, and now it has slowed again. Haven't gotten in any work at all this week because of the weather. But I will be strung out at least well into December with leaves and cutting cool season grass. Some of my lawns are still growing and some of the leaves on some trees have just barely started to change colors while others are already bare. ODD!

It's just not been a good fall.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a guy who has paid his dues.

9. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

LOL, i was thinkin the same thing :D

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like Minnesota the last 4-5 years.

I'm still getting clean-up calls, along with some mulch install calls. It's getting harder and harder to find suppliers that are open though. Most everyone shuts down up here around Halloween, if not sooner.

Last year I didn't plow until February 3rd for the first 1", and even then, it was a LIGHT 1", but I figured since I'd been paid for November, December and January plowing, that I could go out and plow this snow. Ended up plowing 7 times last year.

I figure if it doesn't snow soon, I might put an ad back in the paper to pick up 10 or so more cleanups, might as well, just pad the snowplowing money that's already coming in with nothing to do.