My internet!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jun 8, 2011.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

How many folks here cut through at least one cable line a year?

I remember many many many moons ago when cable companies actually burried their cable lines in the ground!

Now, they lay them ontop of the ground (if it's a new home), and scaper rolls sod over the line.

Hit a cable line today, it was placed over the ground with sod rolled over it :hammerhead: The Mrs wasn't happy :nono: The lines were marked, but that doesnt mean we won't hit it.

People work from home and no likie when they lose the internet!

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

ahhh i love that. here if they are cut they have to put them in conduit and run a new line by law i think. too many of them were done that way even the big fat line that goes into the neighborhoods. we cut one of those one time and knocked out cable/internet to about 200 homes. it was an oversight by the utility locating company and not our fault.

3. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

we pothole all utility marks. If we cut a cable it better not have been marked --otherwise we are paying for it.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

They charge you? I've so far never had to pay for cut lines. Cable resting on top of the ground I would probably fight in court. If they buried them properly, then I'd take the blame.

Posted via Mobile Device

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

As far as I know if the utilities are marked correctly in an occordance to law, then the contractor is not responsible to pay for the repair.

6. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

yep, in VA you can get a fine from the SCC as well as a repair bill from the utility operator.

i have learned the key is to take many photos, and be on top of the entire repair process. the guy doing the repair needs to become your friend -- quick, he generally writes the initial report.

we hit a 2" high pressure gas main, we would have been stuck with the bill had we not had photos and a strong explanation/defense right out of the gate.

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Just don't hit a fiberoptic line unless it is going to COST you big time. A local contractor hit a fiberoptic line and it knocked out a few hundred or more homes and the local highschool where the work was being done. Luckily for that contractor the locate company screwed that up.

8. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

We cut the cable line on every job....yes every job. Around here they dont mark the cable for some reason. We always call the underground in to. Comcast will fix it for free so its no big deal.

9. Fishallot

Fishallot LawnSite Member

Just keep a few connectors and some cable line in the truck, it's an easy couple minute fix to get it working again until a proper repair can be made.

Back when we did irrigation I cut a cable mainline going into a large neighborhood. Lines were all marked but they could never actually find the break. I must've hit it while boring under the driveway. I fought it in court and lost, cost me a grand.

10. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Cable is easy to fix, but fiber sux. Got a customer that lives about half a mile off of the road and after having to have the whole thing rerun three times, on,by once by us.. We followed the guys laying the last "trench" and laid in our own permanent markers.