My irrigation future

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Mar 29, 2008.

1. I've never been a looker. I've always been a creator. So as I contemplate the end of my now 28 year service career I'm trying to create a new career that incorporates my talents and knowledge. I definitely want a simpler slower life without the urgent phone calls and long days. I'm actually considering moving to the supply house side of the business in hopes of finding a company that wants a knowledgeable irrigator to teach service skills in hopes of having those who learn from me to become customers. Or maybe add my pigtail business with a manufacturer rep company and set up teaching classes in various places as part of carrying the rep inventory. I thought about offering a service to existing irrigation companies to ride with their techs to show them tricks of the trade and customer relation skills but that would be too close to a possible conflict of interest. Obviously I want to teach. In my dream world I move down to the Corpus Christi area get a place about 20 miles or so in from the ocean. Set up a bed and breakfast plus teaching facility and offer 2-3 day seminars which would fulfill ceu requirements and do some group sea fishing. I'd have brisket being smoked every day. I'd be limited to Texas irrigators. Don't want any weird azz poly and manifold people. I would have a RV pad for guest curmudgeons.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Why not become a irr buss consultant? Go into existing companies, see how they do things, from inventory control, right to how they install.Look over their service orders try to simplify, find them ways to cut costs ect.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

see you there pete!

4. Not really my niche. Can't say I've done this part real well. My skill is on the job decision making, troubleshooting, servicing, adding sales, customer skills, etc. All the things involved in the actual task itself.

5. You are the only weird azz poly/maifold person I would allow.:)

I will also have an I-90 demo plot.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Brisket...
    [​IMG]

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

He'd teach us to make concrete boots (not that I need training on that:laugh:) and send us out to sea.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I really want to start looking at an exit strategy. But don't know how. I'm thinking a 5 year plan from this point in time. the guy I bought the van from was very meticulous and had a lot of systems in place. It kind of excited me and I'm trying to do the same. I'd like to start getting things better inventoried, same set up for vehicles, more employees, etc, and start putting a value on the company.

I know one local that has been trying to sell for years. $250k, and I think all you get is a customer list. Owners are primary employees so no trained staff goes with it. maybe one. They will never get even close without employees and systems in place. They just recently got customers into a computer program.

10. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

250k? dang. who it be.........

Your right, you gotta have employees, a system, vehicles, place of business for that kinda change, and probably couple of RM remotes.

bummer that CC lost. But the AV's game was a decent shootout victory