My Journey Begins @ the IHEO School

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by DTEP, Sep 30, 2011.

1. DTEP

DTEP LawnSite Member

And so it begins...

First machine ever pushing dirt with, Hitachi 135.
    [​IMG]

I could get used to this vantage.
    [​IMG]

Felt good to have a few tons underneath. Can't wait to get on something bigger one day.

First task, use the teeth to rake around the machine, not digging up too much, getting the feel for the controls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that had to grade it back out. Did half just pushing it back out with the teeth. The second half I started to do it nice and smooth with the bottom of the bucket. Didn't get any pictures of that thought. Had to track across the yard and didn't feel like walking back to get a shot.

Well, first day, so far so good. Going to start trenching tomorrow afternoon. Baby steps.

Can't wait to see what Ron has to say...

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

delete....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. Danny Boy

Danny Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Ron says your doing it wrong ha ha

Keep at it, dont mind him :)

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Kiewet laid off 300+ employees in the Lower Mainland 2-3 weeks ago, so yah, good luck finding a job rookie.
    You'll have about, I'd say a 1 in 300 chance of getting a job with heavy equipment.

5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you wanted Heavy Equipment expirence why didn't you go through the military way? I'm sure the canada military has some type of Heavy Equipment Operating Engineering service.

6. DTEP

DTEP LawnSite Member

Don't feel like giving them 4+ years of my life. Have a few friends in the military and not into that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. bobcat_ron

Canada doesn't have much of a Military anymore, even what's left of our members are going to the US, they know how to treat them right.
    We do have an excellent Navy though, a full 3 ships at sea, and 1 sub is still in the West Edmonton Mall, giving kiddy rides.
    The rest of the Diesel subs are being held together with chewing gum and tar.

8. DTEP

DTEP LawnSite Member

Every few weeks they have had employers coming to the site to recruit students. They're coming to me Ron.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

send me about 3 or 4 of them my way I need some extra help next month

10. bobcat_ron

Ask Dirt Merchant what his experience was, he was with Kiewet for quite a while, but they are $15,000,000+ over budget on the Port Mann project and Flat Iron has taken control.
    Kiewet tries to present an image of a good reputable company to get "recruited" by, then they will treat you like crap the second you step out of bounds. They have so many internal issues that the only only way they can get people to stay with them is give them a hell of a pay cheque, but you are a ROBOT.

Oh, they would come to anyone, if you were a fat black handicapped lesbian transsexual trans gendered neo-nazi pedophile with turret's syndrome, yah, they would be wanting you too.