My last guy only charged me ..............

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Jan 2, 2003.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

How many times do you hear this. Give an estimate for a potential mowing account and they respond, "My last guy only charged me $......". After giving them the "deer in the headlights" glance, my response is "Why don't you give him a call?"

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

what was the price difference?:blob3:

3. LAWNS AND MOWER

$30 VS. $20

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

i don't blame you on that one.however,on a larger account sometimes its not a bad idea to price match,especially if its a yearround contract.:cool:

5. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

More times than not, they still go with you, because the last guy they had doing it was terrible, or they wouldn't be getting a bid in the first place.

6. LAWNS AND MOWER

I got into a pricing war last spring on a large account and won't do it again. Ended up charging less then the previous guy, who did a terrible job. Was a flat account, which is rare in my neck of the woods, which is why I persued it.

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't believe them anyways. It's a good way for them to get you to price lower than what they probably really paid.
    I came up with my prices for a reason, to charge them. There are other fish in the sea.

8. You could respond
    "Thats a real good price, why isn't he still doing it?"
    Usually its because they are out of business or don't want to come back at that price, whatever their answer, it gives you an opening to keep selling if you want.

9. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I get that 8 out of 10 times when I give a bid! I used to match it or only go a little higher, but that was when I was new and stupid. After the first few cuts I realized I had been taken, because the job was usually worth way more. If you can afford to turn down work, it's better to stick to your price or find a happy medium. Yeah I can't wait til those start up again in a few months. "My last guy did a crappy job at $25, so can you do a better job for $15"? :mad:

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

My thoughts also